cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Modifying the behavior of what Unity considers a "Trivial" Password

jdiegmueller
Level 5
Level 5

I was working with a consultant the other day who brought up something the competition does, and I am now plagued with curiousity on whether or not I can do this on Unity. There's a $5 bet on the line with a collegue, so I'm hoping lindborg, kechambe, or whoever can set us straight:

I want to modify the behavior of what Unity considers to be a "Trivial" password. To my knowledge, there is nothing documented behind "check the box" or "don't check the box" in Account Policies. However, say I would like to add a few or delete a few strings -- say I want to mark the numeric portion of address of the company as Trivial. Is there a magic flat file somewhere (as there often is with Unity) that would allow me to do this? I know the behavior of "Trivial Passwords" is sort of dynamic, banning the extension and whatnot, so I'm guessing there are some magic placeholders ("X", "Z") that are in there somewhere.

I reiterate I don't have a direct need to do this, it's more curiousity at this point and the knowledge should I ever have a customer who requests this in the future.

Insight appreciated. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The trivial password stuff is not stored in an editable flat file or the like, at least not the last time I fiddled with it (I'll check to be sure it hasn't changed since then). It's stored in a .DLL that is called to validate passwords - some partners had provided their own DLLs that did different/more strict password checks for their installs in the past (way back when).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The trivial password stuff is not stored in an editable flat file or the like, at least not the last time I fiddled with it (I'll check to be sure it hasn't changed since then). It's stored in a .DLL that is called to validate passwords - some partners had provided their own DLLs that did different/more strict password checks for their installs in the past (way back when).

Bummer; I lost $5.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: