cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MOH quality

smahrous
Level 1
Level 1

When listenning to the MOH file internally , it sounds great , but through the eternal gateways ( PSTN ) it sounds bad

Is there something I have to configure and I miss.

Please advice

2 Replies 2

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

If your gateway is in a g.711 region (the default), the music should sound reasonably good. If your gateway is in a g.729 region (like across your wide area network), music will not sound very good. This is a known property of g.729; you trade off bandwidth for somewhat lesser quality voice and much lesser quality reproduction of music and other non-voice traffic.

This is also a possibility if you've set up Wideband MOH streaming. Wideband is pretty nifty, but we generally don't deploy it for our clients. The reason is that internal calls sound so good that there's a perceptible difference between internal and external calls where you have to shift down to g.711, and that of course starts the users complaining. If you just leave everything toll-quality, the users end up much happier overall.

If you're calling from a cell phone, keep in mind that the codecs they use are generally lower bandwidth (and thus quality) than g.711. Music on hold will never sound good on a cell phone.

Thanks Jasyoung

Your answer is so helpful

Really Ia suing the default G.711 and i noticed that as you said it is only the cell phones who has lower quality .

But I never noticed that before in legacy PBXs , why that happen now , any advices .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: