cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multifunction printer (Fax over IP Telephony environment)

Hi,

Does anybody know what are the requirements needed for a multifunction printer (with fax) for that fax works properly in a IP Telephony environment?. Is it possible a environment without VGs (using multifunction printer/fax as a gateway)?

does Cisco recommend some multifunction printer brands for this purpose?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

3 Replies 3

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This depends on your Fax Server.  If you are using Cisco Fax Server, this is a straight OEM of OpenText RightFax.  Their website will provide you details on what MFP/MFD's are supported for use and what you need.  If you are using XMediusFAX or some other 3rd party, then you'll need to consult them as to what devices are supported.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks David for answer.

We don't use any FAX server, only multifunction printer (including fax, print, photocopy, etc) connected to the LAN and an IP Telephony environment.

If I want use the fax feature, should I only use a VG connected to the multifunction?. are there any multifuntions with a gateway feature inside?

Regards.

Juan,

In my experience, clients that do not use a Fax Server typically have to go with a VG224 or ATA solution to use the Fax feature on MFP/MFD devices.  To even attempt to do this on a 1x1 ratio (if possible) with CUCM would likely be very cumbersome.  Hence, the use of a Fax Server that supports your MFP/MFD devices would be recommended.

Suggestions if you'd like to look into that would be:

1) XMediusFAX

2) Cisco Fax Server (straight OEM of OpenText RightFax)

I prefer XMediusFAX when it fits customer requirements; however, both are good products.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: