cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Night Bell functionality with electronic ring tone

natevdw
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ATA-186 w/ CM 3.3 and a set of speakers hooked to a Bogen Amp. This works great for overhead paging, but I'd also like night bell functionality with this.

Has anyone been able to get speakers to create an electronic ring tone via an overhead paging system for a "night bell" so users can do a remote pickup??

6 Replies 6

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

It's pretty simple. Take the other port on your ATA-186, and hook it up to a Valcom V-9924C (www.valcom.com) or a Bogen NR100 (www.bogen.com). Put it in a pickup group, and then you can do a group pickup from whatever phone to pick calls up off the night ringer. Or, if you only want to pick it up from a couple phones, you could share the ATA-186 DN on a line on those phones. If you go with group pickup, any phone you pick up from needs to have a pickup group assigned to its line.

CallManager does have kind of a silly restriction that a phone that wants to do a Group Pickup has to be a member of a pickup group, any pickup group. If you need to be able to pick up from any phone, what I do is make a magic unused pickup group and put it on every line that doesn't already have a pickup group, and use the Softkey template editor to remove the Pickup button from phones that aren't in a "real" pickup group. That way you don't have issues with people accidentally picking up random calls ringing elsewhere.

Those boxes shown above will generate line-level audio ringing sounds from the FXS ring signal generated by the ATA-186. Either of those units will connect to the line-in or music inputs of your Bogen paging amplifier. Some Bogen paging amplifiers will actually accept the FXS ring signal directly, I think, without any extra hardware. That does of course depend on your exact model. Bogen has lots of documentation posted online, as does Valcom, so check that first. If you order either of those, make sure you order them with the appropriate (not included!) power supplies.

Thanks for the detailed input here. I will try a few things here and see what we can do with that. Thanks again.

I have now found that the Bogen amp does have a "ring" capability so I can pump a ring though the overhead page. This is nice.

Thanks to all who have provided input.

jawise
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a fan of Viking paging equipment

http://www.vikingelectronics.com

Another twist to the Group Pickup option I have found helps is to create a new Softkey Template and move the GrpPkup Key to the first page. It just eliminates the need to hit the "more" button so it removes a step.

Yes, I do that. It is nice. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: