cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE with 800-ILPM-4

helenio
Level 1
Level 1

Does someone know if 800-ILPM-4 can be used to POwer 7940 IP Phones ?

Can I use 800-ILPM-4 as power injector for 7940 on a Switch Cat. 2960 instead that Router 800 ?

6 Replies 6

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

800-ILPM-4 is a 4 port 802.3af capable device,it works only with 802.3af powered devices.The preferred method for powering Cisco IP Phones is through Power over Ethernet (POE). There are two variants of POE: Cisco Inline Power and the IEEE 802.3af standard. All Cisco IP Phones support the Cisco Inline Power variant except 7970G model which offers both Cisco Inline Power and 802.3af support. .

try this url for more information.

http://cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns147/ns412/networking_solutions_white_paper09186a008026641c.shtml#wp43581

gglynn
Level 1
Level 1

As far as I know, the 800-ILPM-4 is an internal module for installation in a Cisco 870 Series ISR only, so, no, this won't work for you.

It sounds like you're looking for something called a "multiport midspan power-over-Ethernet power injector." PowerDsine makes a bunch of these, take a look at the 3000 or 6000 series:

http://www.powerdsine.com/Products/Midspan/

For what it's worth, 800-ILPM-4= is an external dongle and is not an internal module. There is nothing from stopping you from using it as a standalone power injector, but it's probably not really the right tool for that job.

I was a little let down at how klunky the ILPM is, but hey, you can't complain that much because the Cisco 871 is a hell of a bargain.

-jd

PS: As a side note, to correct an earlier post in this thread, many more phones than just the Cisco 7970G do 802.3af. Most common you'll probably start seeing is the Cisco 7941/7961.

I dare to disagree; the 800-ILPM-4= PoE module can be used with Cisco 870 Series routers only, all its four Ethernet cables must be connected to the four router's switch ports. When the router and PoE module are powered on, you can observer PoE ports indicators flashing how the PoE module is communicating with the router's switch.

I have used the 800-ILPM-4= with phones 7940G and 7941G. But I have not succeed to configure the router to be able connect a PC to the IP phone - the switchport voice vlan configuration has not worked.

Well, you can disagree all you want, but I just tested this out and my office Cisco 7941 is currently being powered by a 800-ILPM-4=. I powered up the 800-ILPM-4= dongle and plugged the phone in, and it powered up and of course eventually came up and said Ethernet Disconnected. I then plugged the corresponding cable ("port 1") in to a walljack which leads to a Cisco 3560 (that has "power inline never" for the purposes of this test), and the phone came up and registered.

So in summary, based on my testing, the 800-ILPM-4= can be used as a 4-port 802.3af inline power injector and has no dependancies on Cisco equipment--Cisco 871 or otherwise.

Either way, the solution is kind of hokey. I hope the next iteration of the Cisco 800 (890 Series, maybe?) lets us power phones right out of the box. Even if it was only 1 phone, I'd consider that acceptable.

-jd

Hi, thanks for reply. In my case I have connected the 800-ILPM-4= to FastEthernet ports 1 - 4 (instead of 0 - 3) of the Cisco871. I wanted to use the 800-ILPM-4= for powering-up a CiscoAironet1242, used for uplink connection. I see I will have to repeat my test.