cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Programmatic call routing with Cisco 2900 gateway?

KLowry2012
Level 1
Level 1

I've been reading a lot of documentation and going through various posts and pages for a few hours now, and just want to make sure I have the general idea right (if at all).

Basically, I have an Cisco 2900 router acting as a gateway for an VOIP network (using Cisco 8945 phones) at a medium business.  I'd like to have incoming customer support calls automatically routed to the correct customer service representative based on information in an external database.

Here is my current thinking, based on what I've read.  I don't know if this is accurate or not, so I'd really appreciate some clarification/help.

1. Customer calls main support number.
  2. The CUCM on the C2900 routes the call to a Unified Application Server.
  3. A custom application on the CUAS connects to the database, looking up the customer phone number and retrieving the assigned customer support representative.
  4. The CUAS then reroutes the call back to the CUCM, to an internal IP/extension/number based on the information in the DB.

Does that general flow make sense?  Is there a different, or preferred, way to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
  1. The CUCM on the C2900 routes the call to a Unified Application  Server.

CUCM, doesn't run on ISRs, that's CME.

CUCM runs on MCS 78XX or UC on UCS.

It doesn't seem you can use UAS with CME

Table 1. Product Specifications

Product compatibility

Works with Cisco Unified  CallManager 3.3, 4.0, and 5.0, Cisco IP phones and Cisco IP  Communicator, and with Cisco Unified Application Designer 2.3 and Cisco  Unified Media Engine 2.3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7047/ps7058/product_data_sheet0900aecd8052e04b.html

You would need to either use UCCX or to TCL scripting.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you.

From the perspective of someone entirely new to this, it's just a bit difficult for me to navigate the sea of acronyms and changing names.  Like CUCM/Unified Communications Manager versus CME/Unified Communications Manager Express/CallManager Express/ITS/IOS Telephony Services versus UCCX/Unified Contact Center Express and several others.  So I really appriciate your help.

But I think I'm developing a more clear picture.

From the looks of things, what this company really needs then is Unified CCX Enhanced.  Since we'd be creating a support contact center, UCCX makes sense, anyway.  And UCCX Enhanced allows for custom Java extensions.

So the new, hopefully more accurate, workflow would be:

1. Customer calls main support number.
  2. The CME on the C2900 ISR routes the call to a Unified Contact Center Express Enhanced server, based on a trigger set up in UCCX.
  3. A  custom Java application in UCCX handles the call, connects to the database, looking up the  customer phone number and retrieving the assigned customer support  representative.
  4. The UCCX then reroutes the call back to the CME, to an internal IP/extension/number based on the information in the DB.

Does that make sense?  Or, for step four, does the UCCX connect the call itself?  (maybe I'm making an arbitrary distinction there).

Also - what are, in general, the hardware requirements for the UCCX?  Is it really just as simple as installing VMWare ESXi 4.0 on a standard box/server and loading the UCCX image into the hypervisor?

Thanks again!

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, these things are doable, however they do require significant investment in products, and/or development time.

One way to reduce cost is to use CME on the router, then as Java said, some TCL/IVR scripts. Also possible to use CUE scripts, with the advanced IVR license.

In any case if you never did these things before, you will have to engage an expereince consultant for Contact Center markets.

Also if you are keen on CME, be aware that UCCX 9.0 upwards doesn't support CME anymore, so you are backing into a corner by selecting that deployment.

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Well...  That does add a wrinkle to things, doesn't it?

The C2900 ISR has already been purchased, which only supports CME it seems.

Going with the UCCX route, then, would require that we license the old 8.5 version.  Aside from the incompatability problem, UCCX makes the most sense to me.  But, that's not upgrade safe.

So.  I suppose another question would be:  Is there scriptable (Java, I'd guess) IVR funcitonality as a part of CME, or is a seperate license and seperate server required?

I double checked the version - we have UCCE 8.5, which supposedly supports CME.

Message was edited by: Kyle Lowry