Views
Helpful
Replies

PSTN Call restriction in specific IP Phones

ayram23
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to restrict some of my IP Phones from making PSTN calls. They should be able to talk only with LAN connected IP Phones.

Can anyone tell me what is the configuration for the same ?

Thanks and Regards,

R. Rajaraman

10 Replies 10

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are using CallManager you accomplish this via Calling Search Space/ Partition combination, here is a good link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094b53.shtml

If you are using CME then you accomplish this via COR.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try the calling search space and partition combination today. Will let you know about the result.

Thanks and Regards,

R. Rajaraman

abhishekkatta
Level 1
Level 1

Combo of CSS and Partition will work 100% fine.

I have implemented the same so i am so confident.

ABhishek

Hi,

I have tried the CSS and Partition option. Sorry.Its not working in that way.

The changes doesn't seem to show any effect on making the calls.

Kindly help if any additional configuration to be made in the Call Manager.

Regards,

R. Rajaraman

One thing to keep in mind when assigning a CSS to a phone is that it can be assigned at the Device level and the Line level. The CSS assigned at the Device level will always be used no matter which line you call from. This CSS will be combined with the CSS assigned at the Line level. The Line level CSS takes priority of the Device level CSS, for example:

If the CSS assigned to the Device has these partions in this order: Part1, Part2

And the CSS of the Line making the call has these partitions in this order: Part3, Part4

When the call is placed the order of the partitions wll be: Part3, Part4, Part1, Part2

You can look at the Detailed CCM trace for the trace info described in the above link. This will show you the partitions being used. If this is different than what you configured then you might have an issue with DB connectivity and/or change notification. Meaning that the update is not propagating to the subscriber the phone is registered to. If this seesm to be the case try registering the phone to the Publisher to see if there is a difference.

Kevin

Hi,

I have already tried that option of selecting the partition for line and Device level. It's still not working.

It cannot be the problem of DB connectivity.

I have only configured Publisher server in our network. So the Phones are registering to the publisher server directly.

Can anyone figure out what could be the problem ?

Thanks and Regards,

R. Rajaraman

What is the problem, are you getting fast busy when you dial? You need to make sure that the external route pattern is assigned to a partition that is listed in the phone's CSS. Also, do not leave any devices in partition.

Chris

Have you assined partition to Route patterns? If route patterns to PSTN are assigned None partition, the phones will be able to make calls no matter what CSS and partitions it has (Good point about None partition above).

Please read the document in the link above more carefully. It has to be configuration problem.

A good tool to check call routing is DNA (dialed number analysis). It is under Application -> Plugins.

Dear All,

Here is what i have done.

I have created two partitions in the Call Manager - Internal and External.

I have created two calling search space - CSS internal and CSS external.

Under CSS internal, i have kept the Internal partition.

Under CSS external, i have kept the internal and external partition.

I have assigned some IP Phones devices and lines to internal partition. Rest of the phones i have assigned to external partition. Gateway i have assigned to external partition and CSS external. Then the route pattern also i have assigned to external partition. The route pattern i have used for external call is 9.!# .So i cannot use any route filter also in my configuration. As router filter requires @ in the route pattern.

The most amazing thing was i have got only one route pattern in my configuration. When i have chosen the option "block this poattern" in route pattern, still i was able to make external calls.

Can somebody tell me what could be the problem?

thanks and Regards,

R. Rajaraman

Dear All,

The problem got resolved . Thanks for the help.

Problem identified: When i updated the configuration changes in the Call Manager server and selected the reset device button. the devices were not getting reset. So i manually restarted the devices. Still the same configuration file was recieved by the devices.

For example, i changed the Directory number of an IP Phone, the change was visible in the call manager server. But the phones Driectory number was not changing.

Ridiculous solution: I restarted the Call Manager server. then everything was working fine.

Can somebody tell me the root cause for this problem ?

Regards,

R. Rajaraman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: