cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Database log truncated" error

jweathers
Level 1
Level 1

Is anyone familiar with this Application log error on a Unity server?

Event Type: Error

Event Source: MSSQLSERVER

Event Category: (6)

Event ID: 17055

Date: 3/26/2003

Time: 2:00:00 AM

Description:

18278 :

Database log truncated: Database: UnityDb.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That'll happen when the transaction log is truncated without being backed up first. Several things can cause that I'm sure... you could have a space issue - SQL will proactively truncate the logs to prevent running out of space. You could have a process (scheduled job, external backup app etc...) issuing commands to do backups and/or truncate logs (i.e. if you have your recovery mode set to "SIMPLE" it'll truncate logs when backups are issued - you want FULL in most cases).

You can wander around in the logs in SQL Enterprise manager around that time and see if you see anything interesting looking around that time - under the "Management" folder under your SQL server in enterprise manager look under SQL Server Logs - you should be able to open that days looks and have a peek at what might have been happening around that time.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That'll happen when the transaction log is truncated without being backed up first. Several things can cause that I'm sure... you could have a space issue - SQL will proactively truncate the logs to prevent running out of space. You could have a process (scheduled job, external backup app etc...) issuing commands to do backups and/or truncate logs (i.e. if you have your recovery mode set to "SIMPLE" it'll truncate logs when backups are issued - you want FULL in most cases).

You can wander around in the logs in SQL Enterprise manager around that time and see if you see anything interesting looking around that time - under the "Management" folder under your SQL server in enterprise manager look under SQL Server Logs - you should be able to open that days looks and have a peek at what might have been happening around that time.