cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Ignore Key" function and Dial-By-Extension in Greetings

gordon.hawkins
Level 2
Level 2

During any greeting (in this case, an operator greeting), we want to give callers a chance to automatically dial an extension. Also, we have some prompts to transfer to various departments. If we allow caller input and allow callers to dial an extension during the greeting, when the caller inputs a single digit IGNORED key (no keys are locked), Unity says "Sorry, I did not recongize that as a valid entry".. and then sends the caller to the opening greeting extension.

We have no extensions less than 4 digits, and I told Unity in Restriction Tables -> default transfer that the minimum extension length is 4.. problem still persists.

Problem disappears if caller is not allowed to input extension digits during greeting... is this the fix?

I'd like to have it both ways...

Call manager 3.2.2revE (cutting edge huh? :P, just applied OS 2.3 + A)

Unity 3.1.5 (TSP 6.02a)

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not entirely sure what you want here...

If you set the call handler or subscriber such that no extension input is allowed it simply locks all the keys... this is a shorthand for locking everything down instead of individually locking each key. If you want user's to be able to dial extensions this is not what you want.

When the user hits a key that is not locked, we inturrupt the greeting and wait for the user to finish inputing the extension or, if the key is set to go to an action, we'll take that action after about 1.5 seconds by default (you can change this). If the key is not mapped to an action and they don't enter a valid extension number then we play the error greeting and route the caller to the opening greeting - by default - this behavior can be changed if you want. You can adjust the error greeting to go somewhere else or to loop around to the same greeting again or whatever. I added special functionality in BulkEdit to deal with just this problem. You can set the error greetings for all call handlers and all subscribers to "loop back to self" in one shot.

Outside of that I'm not sure what we can do here... we have to stop and take input and if that input is not valid we have to do something with the call. We can't predict the user is going to enter 4 digits before they actually do it and we can't continue playing the greeting while they do it. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for here.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not entirely sure what you want here...

If you set the call handler or subscriber such that no extension input is allowed it simply locks all the keys... this is a shorthand for locking everything down instead of individually locking each key. If you want user's to be able to dial extensions this is not what you want.

When the user hits a key that is not locked, we inturrupt the greeting and wait for the user to finish inputing the extension or, if the key is set to go to an action, we'll take that action after about 1.5 seconds by default (you can change this). If the key is not mapped to an action and they don't enter a valid extension number then we play the error greeting and route the caller to the opening greeting - by default - this behavior can be changed if you want. You can adjust the error greeting to go somewhere else or to loop around to the same greeting again or whatever. I added special functionality in BulkEdit to deal with just this problem. You can set the error greetings for all call handlers and all subscribers to "loop back to self" in one shot.

Outside of that I'm not sure what we can do here... we have to stop and take input and if that input is not valid we have to do something with the call. We can't predict the user is going to enter 4 digits before they actually do it and we can't continue playing the greeting while they do it. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for here.

Well, that just answered my question. I was wondering why you guys would have the error greeting point back to the opening greeting, and if there was a way to fix it...

now i know

ferris bueler, your my hero...

Thanks! You're not misunderstanding what I'm asking.

Ideally I'd like to have Unity actually ignore the key, and continue playing the greeting as opposed to going back to the start of the greeting... but it'll do!

Thanks again, this worked perfectly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: