cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Response time with ATA-186

jhathcock
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with a customer to resolve an issue with voice quality and noticed something peculiar about the ATA-186 gateways- from the local network I am seeing 65-70ms response time to the gateway. Everything else is <10ms like I would expect. After a google search I see a few others mention the same issue. Is this an inherint problem with the ATA-186? Does anyone know of a workaround? In this situation adding that much delay on the LAN segment is pushing them over the edge on round trip time- hence the voice quality issues.

4 Replies 4

aamercado
Level 4
Level 4

If you haven't done so already, you can try the following qos commands to see if it helps

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a0080447508.html#wp1043690

Thanks, I will give this a try. I'm also going to have the customer replace one of the ATA-186s with an IP phone. If the problem clears up then it proves we have a performance issue with the ATA itself...which is what I am expecting at this point.

danjorda
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you talking about just doing a ping to the ATA? If so from what I understand on these boxes the pings are given a very low processing priority so it does not act quickly on the ping. So it is not really network delay it is the processor lagging.

Dan

I'm hearing the same thing from TAC but am still skeptical about the performance of the ATA with voice. I am going to try an IP phone at the location as a test to rule out the network path.