cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RightFax intergration with Cisco IPT

dtangent
Level 1
Level 1

In a single site deployment, assuming that I have a set of DIDs for faxing only, is it possible to cross-connect RightFax server straight into an IOS gateway with either an analog (VIC-2FXS) or digital interface (VWIC-1MFT-T1) so that all fax calls coming into the IOS gateway's PRI will be routed straight to RightFax?

I have not been able to get a consensus as to whether this will work or not. Opinions differ by the gateway protocol (MGCP vs H322) or the type of interface (digital vs analog).

5 Replies 5

Daniel Baum
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have to assume some here, but the h.323 router can interconnect the PSTN to the Rightfax server either with FXS or T1. I have see some issues depending if super g3 is being used or just standard old fax machines. If SuperG3, you'll have to consider MGCP and fax pass-thru.

Please see this general guide for Cisco FAX services to assist in what is right for your project:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide_chapter09186a00800b5dcb.html#wp433042

For a quick potential fix, see the default fax method since Cisco IOS release 11.3:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide_chapter09186a00801446f0.html

If you think you may have SuperG3 faxing, let me know and I'll forward the pass-thru information.

Dan

Dan,

Can you not configure the router as an MGCP gateway, and configure CCM for fax pass-through. Since the fax has a different set of DIDs, all we have to do is pass the DIDs to the RightFax server. VIC-2E&M or maybe VIC-2FXO-M1 for analog, or VWIC-1MFT for digital to RightFax?

Topology:

Single site deployment (no faxing over IP really)

RightFax server ------ Cisco 3745 (MGCP gateway) ------ PRI to PSTN.

This will work perfectly. I have setup many customers in just the way you described and it works perfectly. Disable fax/modem passthru on the gateways for best results...

-jjf-

Josef,

Thanks for the confirmation. Did you use analog or digital trunk to perform the cross-connect? Also, I am assuming you used a Brooktrout card on the RightFax server?

Yes. That will work.

With MGCP, I suggest you use pass-thru.

Here is a task list for the gateway:

Task 1:

Disable fax relay on the gateway (by doing at "config t" global):

"mgcp fax t.38 inhibit"

"no ccm-manager fax protocol cisco" (turns off cisco fax-relay)

Task 2:

Set Cisco fax pass-through (by doing at "config t" global):

"mgcp modem passthrough voip mode nse"

Task 3:

Specify codec type

"mgcp modem passthrough voip codec g711ulaw"

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: