cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RTPMx and RTPTx on wireless IP phone (7920/21)

msabir
Level 4
Level 4

Does any one know if you can broadcast and receive audio on 7921/20 wireless IP phones? I am reading through Cisco IP Phone App Dev Notes, but it doesn't list 7921 on release 5.x notes. And the new App Dev Notes for 6.x does not have a table that shows URI support for various phone models.

8 Replies 8

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 6.0 IPPS developer guide does list the 7920/21 as supporting RTP in the matrix (page 3-2:)

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/dev_support/access_level/product_support?pcgi=1&product=IP_PHONE_SERV

David, I found it there. Thanks

Looks like 7921 supports RTPRx and RTPMx.

What is the function of RTPMx? Am I able to multicast a two-way stream of an IP phone to a 3rd-party listener? Of course, I try to RTPTx on a phone that is on an in-progress call, but it is "busy". Can only do it on an idle phone and "listen in" on the room, so to speak.

The multicast functions just use multicast.. (and thus the normal functionality like being able to reach whomever subscribes (including non phones.. you could use JMFStudio for instance). other than that it's the same... so you cannot have a multicast session and a call at the same time. I also broadcast wav files from my PC and any phone who wants can listen in.

Thanks for your reply.

You had any luck with barge/listening capabilities? We have rigged up all sorts of methods with CME 7.0 using the cBarge/barge feature, yet no matter what, there is a bad break in the audio as the phone switches to an ad-hoc conference mode. Customers demand that the IP phone user (agent) not be aware of the listening for coaching purposes, and they would like to do it from another IP phone such as a 7921. Seems like the best way is span port and sniffing off the network - but that locks us into using a PC.

had any luck with this type of live monitoring feature?

Hmm.. I think the only way to get this done is using an actual CallCenter (IPCC Express) where silent monitoring is a feature.

RTP Multicast definitely won't be an option here since you have a call you want to listen into. iirc it should be possible to have the phone send to audio to another place for recording purposes but I've never really looked into this and afaik the recording softwares out there are for offline listening only.

Yeah, IPCC Express does have this as a feature. But you and I both know, there probably isnt anything special going on inside IPCC - there is a function call that we could invoke on our own. IPCCX is so darn expensive too ;-) How about the phone Built-In-Bridge (BIB), or the new RTP framework in UCM 6/7 I was recently reading about. Has to be a way to mix the RTP stream and send it elsewhere.

I've made some crude attempts by turning on span port on a Catalyst 3560 and capturing/replaying in real-time using Windows utlities...

I've looked rather extensively into the new functionality (rtp and the rest) and there's nothing in there that would be of use in this scenario.

I suppose call recording works in IPCCX beause the CTI Port automatically conferences calls (and somehow they manage to hide that from the user).. at least that's how I'd look at it if I had to develop such a solution.

I've heard back before ccm 6 was launched that phones could send a stream to another place but that's that.. I've never seen anything or heard anything after that and I have no idea if the feature has made it and if so, where it is documented (there's definitely nothing in any developer guide).. but maybe that's a question you could ask pdi helpdesk (in a way it's a design question.. ) and report back the findings?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: