cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

serious problem after run setvolume

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We ran setvolume on the past Sunday(June 8)in the unity 3.12. Today customer experienced serious problem. All the IP phone message button don't work, voice ports locked, system running very slow. I am wondering is this because of setvolume?<br><br>

11 Replies 11

Not applicable

Nothing to do with SetVolume... I promise.

All SetVolume is doing is running through all the greetings and voice name WAV files in the commserver\streamfiles directory and the \commserver\localize\defaultconfiguration\xxx directories and running a command line utility that adjusts the playback volume to the designated dB level. That's it.

there's no way this could have caused a problem (two days later) with the IP phone message buttons or anything else. You have a different problem at play that needs to be diagnosed.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

But here is the link which descrbes there is a bug involed in version 3.12 if using setvolume, could you take a look?http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/unity_port_lockups.html#portlock

Not applicable

that document doesn't mention set volume anywhere...

You may be thinking of a different WAV driver issue where users set their volume to something other than medium in their playback options or via VMO. This is a completely seperate issue and has nothing at all to do with the Setvolume utility.

You are barking up the wrong tree I think, you need to open a TAC case and work this normally.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Last question of this: The following is the related topic in the link that I sent you: "Enabling AGC for G729 MSG-type Recording may Lock Up Unity Ports—CSCdw92062". Does AGC mean something that related to setvolume?Thanks a lot.
Probably I misunderstood it.

Not applicable

If you're using G729a and you have AGC enabled on your system you could be seeing that... it wouldn't have anything to do with SetVolume, however. It has to do with problems adjusting the volume on the fly for a live call if the system is set to record in G729a. If you're worried about it you can switch to 711 or disable AGC (you can use the Advanced Settings Tool for that... just set the target dB level to "0") - this requires a restart of Unity.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

I'm sorry I have more questions here.How can I check unity is G.729 enabled or G.711? By the way, does the untiy will enable AGC automatically after I ran the setvolume utility?

Not applicable

If you fire up the SetRecordFormat.exe tool (found in the tools depot or in commserver\utilties\) it'll show you the current recording format Unity is using.

You can check to see if Unity is configured to support G729a (i.e. if a call comes in from CM in 729a we will allow it and convert it to the selected record format we are using). This is in the registry under HKLM\Software\Active Voice\AVSkinny\G729 Enabled.

You would have had to install the G729a codec on your own for this to be there, it wont be configured by default.

Set Volume will not enable AGC for you against your will... there's a checkbox at the bottom that asks if you want to save the values to the registry. If AGC was not enabled before and you save these values, you have to restart before Unity will kick in the AGC functionality, it doesn't kick in on the fly.

BTW - AGC is on by default for 3.1(4)... the 729a issue was worked out.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Morning Jeff
I looked at the setrecordformat, there are two lines , first line shows CCITT ulaw, second line shows 8,000kHZ,7bit.Cisco TAC told me that's G.711, but also I found G.729 registry value is 1. They are not consistent, so which one is used here?
My second question is: Last tonight we disabled the AGC in the registry, but something we are confused is even we turned of AGC, the volume is still good as we ran setvolume.Let me tell you some background of this project, initially we had low volume issue from PSTN. We tried adusting gateway, but no luck, then TAC told us to use setvolume, after setvolume, volume is better. but couple ports were locked yesterday. then we turned off AGC, as we thought volume should be lower, but it wasn't. What's the exact connection between setvolume and AGC? TAC guy is not quite sure.We would like to get the answer from you or TAC then decide what's next step we have to take, either upgrade Unity to 3.13 or stay in 3.12 if volume is no problem even turn off AGC.Thank you.

Not applicable

First, uLaw is G711. The fact that the "g729a" flag is enable in the registry is not inconsistent... this just means if CM establishes a call to one of our ports and it tells us it wants to stream G729a at us, we'll allow that and convert it (transcode it) into 711 on the fly. If you set that flag to 0 we wont all CM to establish a call with G729a at us. Generally you want to leave that on unless you're really concerned about the transcoding issue (you shouldn't be).

Second, if you just set the registry for the AGC value to 0 and did nothing else, AGC is still active. You have to restart Unity for changes in the AGC engine to take effect, as I mentioned in an earlier post these changes do not take effect immediately.

Third, SetVolume only affects your currently recorded voice names and greetings. It uses the AGC libraries to adjust the dB level of the standing WAV files in the stream files library. Once it's done, it's done. It does not touch, affect, contact, think about, get near etc... your ports or the TSP. This is designed to help relevel your greetings to match the level Unity is recording at now, that's it.

Fourth, 3.1(3) made some improvments in the AGC stuff. the releveled recordings sound better, "hiss" at the end of some recordings is eliminated and silence is handled better. An upgrade to 3.1(3) is not a bad idea.

Your port locks had nothing to do with SetVolume. Honest. I know to you it seems obvious that the last thing you did to the Unity box must be responsible for whatever problems you're seeing at the moment but that's simply not the case. Your port lock issues are very likely not related to AGC in general either since you were not recording things in G729a that bug you referenced does not apply to your system. An upgrade to 3.1(3) will very likely have no effect on whatever is causing your ports to lock. I would strongly advise you leave your AGC on and open a ticket with TAC to start troubleshooting your port locks... these are most likely completely unrelated items. There are several reasons why the ports may be going out of service on you.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

You are right. It seems not AGC related problem, but it still G729 problem, bug number is CSCae08069. After added the new registry, so far it's running fine.
Thanks a lot , Jeff.
Customer still wanna upgrade 3.14 for long term purpose, I have a question here: I would like do a backup here before upgrade. Here is my steps for backup please give me suggestion:
1.Backup Exchange with MSbackup
2. Backup Unity data wity Dirt.
If any problem cause system crash or whatever, can I rebuild the server just by these two backup? I understand I have to install OS ,etc. Thanks

Not applicable

sure, that'll work fine. To restore you install everything back to the point where Unity is running fine and then restore DiRT (which will create all your accounts for you in Exchange) and then restore the messages from your mailstore backup. You can do it the other way around if you want as well but I've done it this way and it works fine.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: