cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Set Volume tool on Unity 4.0.1

k.peters
Level 1
Level 1

I ran the set volume tool and changed the New target db level to -21 because the customer was complaining that the greetings and Unity prompts were too quiet. I now know that the Unity prompts are not affected by this tool and only the customer recorded greetings and names are. Once I made the change everything sounds quieter than originally. I did a backup of the original voice names and greetings and tried to restore but the volume does not change. The instructions for the tool to restore just say to go to the directory where the save was made and restore but when I did that it took only seconds for it to complete. Since it took nearly 20 minutes to finish when I first tried to change the volume higher, I wonder if I am running the restore correctly to get the original volume voice names and greeting back. And why did changing the db level to -21 make the volume lower?

1 Reply 1

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First... this was the wrong approach to take for solving this problem... as you probably figured out even if you did get the greetings and voice names higher the prompts would not be and you'd have a pretty uneven sounding solution. The key here is to have all prompts, voice names and new recordings coming in at the same level. If it's too quiet playing back you can boost the playback volume a little for _all_ outgoing plays using the WAVGain utility. Having various sources of files having different base volumes is not an approach that is going to make the customer happy I can assure you.

That said, it took 20 minutes the first time since it had to open each WAV file and fiddle with it to get the volume to reset. The restore simply does a massive file copy from the directory where you backed up the originals to the \streamfiles directory which should happen very quickly.

My guess is the volume of your prompts was not -26 to begin with - you didn't provide a Unity version for me to work with here so I'm just flying in the dark but this would be my first guess.