cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRST and gateways

jcmartin
Level 1
Level 1

Let's say I have a remote office with a router running SRST. The office also has as its primary gateway a VG200 with a PRI. How do I instruct SRST to use the VG200 as its primary gateway when it SRST mode?

4 Replies 4

jpstott
Level 1
Level 1

SRST works by having the phones try their default gateway as a last resort when all Call Managers are unreachable. The VG200 is not a router, therefore it really shouldn't be your 'default gateway'. Try putting a routing protocol on it and you will see what I mean:

VG200-Corp(config)#router rip

Unknown routing protocol

I suppose you could route all your traffic in (or just the phone traffic) and then back out the same port toward your WAN, using static routes, but this is not the best practice.

The only other way would be to set up HSRP with the VG200 as the secondary; I'm not sure if the VG200 will support HSRP, however, it does take the standby commands. Maybe somone else out there has been successful with HSRP on the VG200, or has another suggestion.

I understand that the VG200 isn't a router and isn't the SRST machine. And the VG200 is not the default gateway, the 2620 is. But, according to the documentation online, there is a way to tell the 2620 that is running SRST to use the VG200 gateway for outbound calls, they just don't give an example config that I have seen.

Hi,

Configure on the 26xx a voip dial-peer with prefrence pointing to the VG200 and the VG200 configured with pots for PSTN connectivity and voip for servicing incomming calls from the PSTN.

Under normal case the higher order voip dial-peer on the 26xx works, under SRST the second prefrence voip to the VG200 is used by the 26xx

Regards

This is exactly the solution we finally came up with last night. Thanks!