cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Suppressing NDNs in VM stack

jcarr
Level 1
Level 1

In our UM 4.0.2/Exchange 2000 installation, we get email NDNs in the voice mail stack. I've suppressed return receipts using the advanced settings tool, but non-delivery notices for email appear as voice messages & it freaks out some users who don't know what's going on. We do not have any TTS installed or configured so users don't expect email-related items thru the TUI. Is there a way to suppress these?

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't suppress NDRs entirely but you should be able to move them in the stack using the FlexStack feature - the "recipets and notices" messages should show up by default at the very end of their stack.

There's long and sorted reasons for this having to do with limits on how long inbox filters can be in Exchange-land but the long and short of it is any NDR regardless of it's source will be presented here.

I'm sure you're right, but if I can sort them and unity presents them one by one, it seems like there could be a way to suppress them, even if Exchange had to offer them and Unity discards them. Is there ever a time when anyone would really want NDRs thru the TUI, esp when it seems to usually be some bogus Internet address and Unity doesn't know the recipient? Maybe in 4.0++?

The problem is distinguishing between non delivered _voice_ messages and non delivered _other_ messages - we presume you'll want to know your voice message didn't get where it's going. Filtering out the NDRs based on their original sending type is the tough part.

Also, why are they getting so many NDRs that this is such a concern? Seems like they have other issues to be running down here...

It's not a lot of NDRs -- typically just mis-addressed Internet messages and they're rare, which confuses the users even more when they get them thru the TUI.

Maybe an option, like all the other obscure switches that allow the product to be adapted to the particular situation. In our deployment, almost every voice msg is left off a call fwd transfer from Call Mgr. The number of users who login and then send messages or who use VMO to create VMs is negligibly small. We never see voice NDRs in this case (maybe we're just lucky?).