Views
Helpful
Replies

Transcoding and Conf

madhusudhan.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have CCM 4.0(2a).Also we have a Cat 6509 with WS-X6608E1 blade.I have configured the E1 ports for transcoding & conferencing.We have 3 remote cisco routers configured as H323 & MGCP Gws.

We have a devicepool DP1 configured for G711 codec.All phones are part of this devicepool.

We have a devicepool DP2 configured for G729 codec.All gateways are part of this devicepool.

We want codec converted to G729 whenever calls are going through WAN.

Problem -

1.When I make a call(with no trancoder configured on CCM) from an IP phone through the remote Gws,Calls are getting established & working fine.When I press the ? button on IP phone ,I can see the codec as G729.How is this working without any transcoder configured??

After configuring the E1 ports as transcoder,still I cannot see any transcoding resource usage on CCM & catalyst switch.

2.I have registered some E1 ports as Hardware conference.I have removed the software conference form the media resource group & I can see conference resource used on Cat6509 while in conference.When I make a 3-4 party conference call from an IP phone through the WAN & press ? button,I see the codec as G711.How can I configure this as G729 to save bandwidth.

Let me know if any one can help on this.

Regds

Madhu

1 Reply 1

bart-peters
Level 1
Level 1

on 1. The IP phone itself is able to talk G729 so you don't need any transcoder for that.

on 2. set up two regions that can only do G729 between each other and G711 within the region. Put the conf-bridge in one of them and set up a conf on phones between the two regions. If 2 phones are in the region were the conf bridge also is and 1 phone in the remote region: the 2 phones will do G711 and the other on will do G729.

You can also use the software conf bridge and configure transcoding. The transcoder has to be on the same location as the sofware conf bridge.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: