Replies

Troubles while upgrading DMM and SnS from 5.2.1 to 5.2.2

akalinnikov
Level 1
Level 1

Troubles with upgrade.

Hello. Could you help me, please?

The story:

1. I've downloaded the firmware 5.2.1 to 5.2.2 files for SnS and DMM from Cisco's site.

2. I have unpacked iso images with a winrar.

3. I made a DVD, one for SnS, one for DMM. Also I made a backups.

4. I followed the instructions http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_2/dms/upgrade/guide/522UpgradeGuide.pdf

My first attempt was with DMM. I plugged monitor, keyboard, mouse to my DMM. There was the same menu.

5. I choosed ok. The system installed 5.2.2. There were some options, where I should choose yes, no, rename. I tried to upgrage my system for a three times. The first time i ignored any prompts, in other cases I choosed yes in every prompt.

6. The system reboots and I see 5.2.1 version.

The same story with SnS.

Whats wrong?

P.S. Cisco Show and Share WAVE 574 and Cisco Digital Media Manager Cisco MCS 7835-H2 (Server HP DL380G6).

P.S. Any additional info is available upon request.

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Alex,

Please check out the following documents:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14070

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14071

Verify that you images are valid by looking at the MD5 hash.

If the images verify to be correct, you may want to clear you syslog files in the

AAI and then repeat upgrade process.  If it fails again, collect the syslogs so we

can look at the log files to see what the DMM is seeing during the upgrade process.

Thanks

T.

Hello, Tomas! Great thanks foryour assistance.

I've checked md5 hashes.

For my dmm5.2.1to5.2.2 iso image it is: C48AA9E6DF034D697625551B91972238 *dmm521to522.iso

For my dms5.2.1to5.2.2 iso image it is: 0ABEB4AA2F734E81C95B15F1C483BE30 *sns521to522.iso

I've cleared my syslog file.  After that I've changed my log level to INFO (INFO, WARNING and ERRORS log level). When finished with that, I tried to upgrade to 5.2.2 again. Nothing has changed. So I created new syslog file.

Syslog archive is attached. Thanks! Awaiting for your advise.

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Alex,

From the logs & errors seen in the logs, it looks like the upgrade is not completing.

Please try the following:

* Put the 5.2.2 upgrade ISO back into the DMM and Reload. 

* You may get a window indicating the DMM would upgrade select yes

or no. Select YES.

- DMM will hopefully complete the upgrade to 5.2.2.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers!

T.

Hello, Tomas.

I did it all exactly as you have written above. Nothing! The version still remains 5.2.1.13

A window indicating the DMM would upgrade does not appear before or after the DMM has been rebooted.

Step 5 Choose Yes to confirm that you want to upgrade the system.

The upgrade process begins. The appliance reboots and again asks you if you want to upgrade the

system.  ---> Is it when the appliance asks me to replace files while booting?

Step 6 Choose Yes

And here I'm choosing yes in every question (6 or 7 strings)?

If it isnt -  the appliance does not ask me about upgrade the second time!

Thanks.

Alex,

I forgot to ask, Is there a USB drive or anything attached

to USB ports?  If so, please remove.

One last thing to try in this forum, before you need to either open

as TAC Case or reinstall from scratch:

You mention:

"Step 5 Choose Yes to confirm that you want to upgrade the system.

The upgrade process begins. The appliance reboots and again asks you if you want to upgrade the

system.  ---> Is it when the appliance asks me to replace files while booting?

Step 6 Choose Yes

And here I'm choosing yes in every question (6 or 7 strings)?"

Once the Upgrade begins and then you see the the appliance start to reboot,

eject the DVD so that the DMM cannot boot from the DVD and see or record

any errors that are seen on the console.

Let me know what happens... if the upgrade does not work, you will either need to open a

TAC case or reinstall 5.2, Upgrade 5.2.1, then Upgrade to 5.2.2.  Make sure you backup your

data prior to doing this.

The thing that bothers me is that you see this on both the DMM & the SnS.  This is typically

a sign that the ISO images are corrupted. Which points me back to the MD5 Hash check.

Your MD5 Hash is technically incorrect since your value has letters in CAPITALs.  An "A" is

not the same as "a" but depending on your method of checking (software\app), some tools

report in all capital letters.  You may want to download the image again and try a couple of different

tools to evaluate the MD5 Hash and see if you get different results....

Cheers!

T.

Tomas, no, there isnt any usb device except mouse and keyboard (they are attached into usb ports on the front of the DMM).

I just have ejected the DVD while rebooting. Nothing has changed. Havent seen any error except "module drbd is in use".

And all DMPs were succesfully upgraded from 5.2.1 to 5.2.2.

Im using FastSum win md5 checker. It just shows md5 results info in a higher registry (AAA, not aaa). I can try to use another.

It is the matter - I had reinstalled the images of my DMM and SnS before I tried to ugrade them.

P.S. the native ISO for my devices is 5.2.1.

Thanks.

Update. I have just uploaded my iso images to freebsd server and checked md5 hash with freebsd 8 utility.

They are:

0abeb4aa2f734e81c95b15f1c483be30 for sns521to522.iso

c48aa9e6df034d697625551b91972238 for dmm521to522.iso

Linux-based system shows the same results. So the images are okay.

P.S. And I tried to upgrade SnS device (just some minutes ago). The same problem.

Message was edited by: Alex Kalinnikov

akalinnikov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, fellas. I have succeeded in upgrading the DMM and SnS. The problem has been solved after I recorded the same iso images on DVD with Nero. Before that I used windows tools.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: