Level 4
Level 4

Hi Cisco UC expert Team

We have UCS server with 2 CPU.

UCS-C210M2-VCD2 x 1    

Bare Metal UCS C210M2 Svr.,2xE5640 CPU,48GB RAM,10x146GB HDD

UC-A01-X0109  x2

2.66GHz Xeon E5640 80W CPU/12MB cache/DDR3 1066MHz

As I know 4 VM can be created on this one UCS server.

But UC on UCS design document shows different way.

----------------------------------------------------------

CPU1                     |       CPU2

---------------------------------------------------------

core1 core2 cr3  cr4| cr1 cr2 cr3 cr4

CPU1

--------

Core1 : PUB

Core2:TFTP

Core3:leave Idle for UCcx1

Core4:UCxn1

CPU2

---------

Core1 : SUB1

Core2:CUP

Core3:leave Idle for UCcx2

Core4:UCxn2

Question is : What is difference between CPU and Core1-4 ? How many VM servers are supported on 2xCPU C210M2 ?

Is it limited to 4 VM per C-series server or more?

Waiting for response.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
7 Replies 7

rajesh.kumar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Team

We have UCS server with 2 CPU.

UCS-C210M2-VCD2 x 1    

Bare Metal UCS C210M2 Svr.,2xE5640 CPU,48GB RAM,10x146GB HDD

UC-A01-X0109  x2

2.66GHz Xeon E5640 80W CPU/12MB cache/DDR3 1066MHz

As I know 4 VM can be created on this one UCS server.

But UC on UCS design document shows different way.

----------------------------------------------------------

CPU1                     |       CPU2

core1 core2 cr3  cr4| cr1 cr2 cr3 cr4

CPU1

--------

Core1 : PUB

Core2:TFTP

Core3:leave Idle for UCcx1

Core4:UCxn1

CPU2

---------

Core1 : SUB1

Core2:CUP

Core3:leave Idle for UCcx2

Core4:UCxn2

Question is : What is difference between CPU and Core1-4 ? How many VM servers are supported on 2xCPU C210M2 ?

Is it limited to 4 VM per C-series server or more?

Waiting for response.

Rajesh,

Q). What is difference between CPU and Core1-4?

Like many other processors today, the Intel Xeon E5640 processors processor is a multi-core processor, quad-core in this case. A dual-core CPU has two cores, a quad-core processor contains four cores, etc. Each core can be considered to be an independednt processor, and is also referred to as a vCPU.

Q). How many VM servers are supported on 2xCPU C210M2? Is it limited to 4 VM per C-series server or more?

The number of Virtual machines you can have on a server or a blade depends on size of the virtual machines that will be deployed. You can use all the cores, subject to the sizing and coresidency guidelines. For example, it could be only 1 VM (UCx 20k users) or up to 8 VM's (CUCM 2.5k users).

Ensure that you are using the right OVAs for the server type and solution scale. Add up OVA cores to determine how many you can have on the server or blade. The 4:1 was based on 8 cores per physical server and 2 cores per VM. With smaller virtual machines you can have more per server or blade.

I think it's also important to note that putting all your VMs for a single cluster on a single physical server is probably not very sensible unless this for a lab or small pilot. You still need to plan for physical failure such as loss of power or internal server failure. Spreading the VMs across at least 2 servers in seperate locations provides a suitable level of redundancy.

Agreed. While virtualization provides many benefits including reducing your server footprint through coresidency, just because you can does not mean you should. Reduncancy and high availability at all layers should still be an important design consideration.

Dear Michael

Thanks for the information.

Our  UCS server has TWO numbers of 2.66GHz Xeon E5640. So it is quad-core  and this server can support 8 VM on it. Correct? (consider CUCM 2.5k)

Pls. clarify, during VM creation OVA will automatically assign number of required core?

Also apart from UC aaplications, ESXi will not be consume any of core?

Pls. send me any tool or link so that I can calculate, number of VM on UCS-C210M2-VCD2

Pls. advice.

Rgds

Rajesh

Dear Michael

Thanks for the information.

Our UCS server has TWO numbers of 2.66GHz Xeon E5640. So it is quad-core and this server can support 8 VM on it. Correct? (consider CUCM 2.5k)

Pls. clarify, during VM creation OVA will automatically assign number of required core?

Also apart from UC aaplications, ESXi will not be consume any of core?

Pls. send me any tool or link so that I can calculate, number of VM on UCS-C210M2-VCD2

Pls. advice.

I don't know of any design tools but the bible for design information is here;

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Before_You_Buy_or_Deploy_-_Considerations_for_Design_and_Procurement

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: