cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unity call transfer

whanson
Level 2
Level 2

From the opening greeting, how do I get Unity to transfer to an extension. Can the extension be an external number??? I've tried accessing the opening call handler selected call transfer and checked yes to an extension, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

5 Replies 5

afuller
Level 4
Level 4

On each call handler, under the Caller Input page, there is a checkbox "Allow callers to dial an extension during greeting" that will let your users punch in an extension to be transferred. The catch-all, though, is that Unity must have the extension we're trying to transfer to in its database first. We get it in there \by assigning it to either a call handler, internet subscriber, or regular exchange subscriber.

Now, just in case I misread your original question and you instead mean to have the opening greeting instead drop someone off at a different extension when they're supposed to get the opening greeting, then you need to make sure that everytime someone moves to the opening greeting from any other call handler or subscriber conversation, that you're doing an Attempt to Transfer to the opening greeting. You can configure this on the Caller Input page where you set a key to "Send caller to Attempt to transfer for Opening Greeting."

If you want someone to get transferred immediately instead of hitting the opening greeting when *dialing* into Unity, then you'd need to select "Yes, ring a subscriber at this extension" under the Transfer Incoming Calls part of the Call Transfer page on the opening greeting. The call routing rules that point to the opening greeting are already configured to do Attempt to Transfer.

adam

Adam,

I guess I'm missing something basic. Here's what I did. I created a call handler, call it BOB. Bob is set to all days and standard. On the greetings page I recorded the greeting and unchecked allow caller input during greeting. After greeting take a message. On call transfer I specified yes ring this extension and specified an internal extension and checked release to switch.

Next, I went to the opening greeting and selected caller input and selected key 1 and checked send to call handler BOB.

When I dial in from the outside and select 1 I get the opening greeting for the BOB call handler and then I get take a message, no attempt to transfer.

If I dial in and just type the extension during the opening greeting the phone rings.

Make sure on the openeing greeting "1" key mapping that you have it set to "attempt transfer for" and not the default of "send to greeting for"...

Great thanks that was it. Hey, while I have your attention is there a good write up on call routing. I used it for the documented approach for transferring to voice mail. Is there some good stuff on when I would use it???

After I publish the Unity Architecture Overview document I'm working on now I'm going to write up an Audio Text Management document that will include call handler basics, call routing rules info, troubleshooting techniques, common scenarios folks have trouble handling in the field etc...

I'm hoping to have this published on AnswerMonkey by mid September, but that assumes everything runs along smoothly with my other projects - which of course is never the case.