Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 8.0 Audit Logs Configuration

samayann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have Cisco Unity Connection 8.0, integrated with CCM 7.X. The problem is when I try to open the Audit Log Configuration page under Tools in Cisco Unified Serviceability of UC, I get an error message 'Access Denied'.. Why is this happening ? Can anyone help!!.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unity Connection and CUCM share a common platform on which both applications are built.  You'll notice that as you flip around the available web interfaces that some are Unity Connection specific while others are components included from the CUCM code.  One of those components is the Cisco Unified Serviceability configurations.  Now, I could be mistaken but I believe that audit log configuration is only supported on CUCM unless you are running Business Edition (CUCM-BE) and then audit logging is supported for both CUCM and CUC since they are installed in a co-resident fashion.  Here are the guidelines for accessing the Audit Log configurations within the Unified Serviceability console:

Only a user with an audit role can change the audit log settings. By default, the CCMAdministrator possesses the audit role after fresh installs and upgrades. The CCMAdministrator can assign any user that has auditing privileges to the Standard Audit Users group in the User Group Configuration window in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration. If you want to do so, you can then remove CCMAdministrator from the Standard Audit Users group.

If you login to CUCM and attempt to access these configurations and you have a user with the credentials noted above, my guess is that you'll have no issues.  However, when you login into Unity Connection using a CUC application administration ID then you won't be able to access the Audit Log configurations because that user would not have the appropriate credentials and the audit log function is only supported for Unity Connection in The CUCM BE installations.

Read the following: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/service/8_0_1/admin/saaulog.html

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unity Connection and CUCM share a common platform on which both applications are built.  You'll notice that as you flip around the available web interfaces that some are Unity Connection specific while others are components included from the CUCM code.  One of those components is the Cisco Unified Serviceability configurations.  Now, I could be mistaken but I believe that audit log configuration is only supported on CUCM unless you are running Business Edition (CUCM-BE) and then audit logging is supported for both CUCM and CUC since they are installed in a co-resident fashion.  Here are the guidelines for accessing the Audit Log configurations within the Unified Serviceability console:

Only a user with an audit role can change the audit log settings. By default, the CCMAdministrator possesses the audit role after fresh installs and upgrades. The CCMAdministrator can assign any user that has auditing privileges to the Standard Audit Users group in the User Group Configuration window in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration. If you want to do so, you can then remove CCMAdministrator from the Standard Audit Users group.

If you login to CUCM and attempt to access these configurations and you have a user with the credentials noted above, my guess is that you'll have no issues.  However, when you login into Unity Connection using a CUC application administration ID then you won't be able to access the Audit Log configurations because that user would not have the appropriate credentials and the audit log function is only supported for Unity Connection in The CUCM BE installations.

Read the following: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/service/8_0_1/admin/saaulog.html

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi,

Thank you for the information.

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

I've just run into this at a customer who's still on 8.0. We're preparing to upgrade them to 9.1. I thought I'd update this thread since it's one of the first ones that comes up when looking for this exact problem.

The Audit Log feature doesn't fully exist in Unity Connection 8.0. It is supported in 8.5 and beyond. The Audit Log link is present in the Serviceability web UI, but you always get Access Denied. There's a role you have to be granted, "Audit Administrator", but that role doesn't exist. The configuration guides for CUC 8.x now mention the Audit Log feature requires 8.5 or newer. Even if you could find a tricky way to grant that access on 8.0, there's no guarantee that CUC is actually writing out audit events to the log.

Audit Administrator (Cisco Unity Connection 8.5 and later only)

This role allows an administrator to enable or disable Cisco Unity  Connection application and database auditing, to configure audit  settings, and to view or delete audit logs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/user_mac/guide/8xcucmac020.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: