cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity CPU pegged at 100%

emlee
Level 1
Level 1

Unity is working fine, but my CPU is at 100%. One process is not eating up all the CPU cycles, but rather, it's evenly being used (roughly 20-30% by the following services:

AvCsMgr, AvDsGlobal, AvUmrSyncSvr, AvDirChangeWrit, AvTtsSvr, AvDSAd

All functions are working fine, just some stuff like MWI and messages being received are on slight delay, which is understandable in light of the CPU utilization.

The other day, I had 100 VM messages queued up in the UnityMTA folder and the cpu was at 100%. I restarted the box, all messages that were queued were delivered but the CPU is still way up there.

BTW, GAENSvr has been stopped, but CPU is still at 100%.

8 Replies 8

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How long does this stay pegged? Did it ever calm down? During the inital mailbox login/notifier synchronization period after startup, the CPU can get hammered pretty good there for a while - depending on the size of the system/number of users in the database this can take a while. Once Unity is logged into everyone's mailboxes and the synch is complete things should calm down.

If that's not the case, I would reccomend openeing a TAC case for this - there's no snappy answer for what would be causing a CPU spike (outside of known issues with GAENsvr which you've already eliminated).

It stays at 100% all the time... going on three days now. I do have a TAC case open and will keep working with them on it. Just thought you guys might have some quick answers. I'll post again with an update.

I am wondering which version of Unity you are running.

Keith

I am running Unity 3.14

Also, it's different now. It's not pegged at 100% anymore, but it jumps from 25 to 100 to 10 to 98 to 30 to 100... it's all over the place. It will then sit pegged at 100% for a couple minutes then go back to jumping around.

Does the box need to be restarted after stopping the GAEN service?

CSCdz01792

This fixed it.

Thanks for the follow up...

yeah, we've had a number of issues arise regarding switching between single and dual switch configurations - I'm currently banging on an update to dbWalker that should help detect and fix this automatically in one sweep rather than having to use DOHPropTest/SQL and BulkEdit etc...

Hoping to have something posted early next week.

Spoke too soon. The reg keys that I deleted keep coming back and my MWI is not working now.

Processor utilization is ok though. Suggestions?

Fixed. I simply re-ran the fix and it's working perfectly. I suspect that manually resyncing the MWI through Unity may be the cause of the reg keys returning. Anyhow, it's been 5 days and my MWI and processor utilzation are working just as they should.