cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG Configuration types

G3261
Level 4
Level 4

Can someone explain the difference between---voice gateways?

) H.323

2) MGCP

3) SIP (CUBE)

how do you know when to use what type of configuration for your voice gateway? Also, if I am looking at VG, how do I know it is configured with MGCP, H323 or CUBE? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

• H.323 & SIP you need to configure Dial plan on both CUCM and Gateway
  •  MGCP is a Call Agent/Endpoint protocol, where the Endpoint is controlled by a Call Agent of some type. The entire control intelligence is controlled by a Call Agent who instructs the endpoint what action to take once an event is detected.You configure the dial plan in CUCM.

Protocol Comparison.

Capture.PNG

You can go through below live document.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjyqs7WnInwAhVlR0EAHQFPAg4QFjAAegQIAxAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ciscolive.com%2Fc%2Fdam%2Fr%2Fciscolive%2Femea%2Fdocs%2F2016%2Fpdf%2FBRKUCC-2006.pdf&usg=AOvVaw32BFD...

how do you know when to use what type of configuration for your voice gateway?

its depend on the PSTN connectivity, MGCP will be possible if you use ISDN. MGCP for FXO i never tried. if you subscribed for SIp trunk from ISp, you will configure SIP dial-peer. Etc...

Also, if I am looking at VG, how do I know it is configured with MGCP, H323 or CUBE?

MGCP, you will find similar configuration mentioned below.(just few commands mentioned)

controller E1 0/1/0
framing no-crc4
clock source line primarypri-group timeslots 1-30 service mgcp

mgcp
mgcp call-agent <<<IP ADDRESS>>> service-type mgcp version 0.1 mgcp dtmf-relay voip codec all mode out-of-band
mgcp bind control source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0 mgcp bind media source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0

For SIP & H323 you can see dial-peer. But for SIP you can see Dial-peers with SIP version.

Remember one thing you can run multiple protocols on same gateway, so may  be you see all three configurations on same gateway.

Above mentioned is just a tip of Iceberg Go through Cisco press books.. configurations guides, SRND etc..

Response Signature

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Suggest you start by doing some research / self study on the protocols to understand each one, also, SIP does NOT mean CUBE. You could be using TDM with SIP and that is not a CUBE. 

There's a lot of literature on each protocol that you can find on cisco.com with configuration examples, and datasheet on CUBE that explains what a CUBE is, as well as configuration guides for CUBE.

A voice gw is simply an ISR that uses SIP, H323, MGCP or SCCP for voice, and more than one could be configured in the same ISR. 

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

• H.323 & SIP you need to configure Dial plan on both CUCM and Gateway
  •  MGCP is a Call Agent/Endpoint protocol, where the Endpoint is controlled by a Call Agent of some type. The entire control intelligence is controlled by a Call Agent who instructs the endpoint what action to take once an event is detected.You configure the dial plan in CUCM.

Protocol Comparison.

Capture.PNG

You can go through below live document.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjyqs7WnInwAhVlR0EAHQFPAg4QFjAAegQIAxAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ciscolive.com%2Fc%2Fdam%2Fr%2Fciscolive%2Femea%2Fdocs%2F2016%2Fpdf%2FBRKUCC-2006.pdf&usg=AOvVaw32BFD...

how do you know when to use what type of configuration for your voice gateway?

its depend on the PSTN connectivity, MGCP will be possible if you use ISDN. MGCP for FXO i never tried. if you subscribed for SIp trunk from ISp, you will configure SIP dial-peer. Etc...

Also, if I am looking at VG, how do I know it is configured with MGCP, H323 or CUBE?

MGCP, you will find similar configuration mentioned below.(just few commands mentioned)

controller E1 0/1/0
framing no-crc4
clock source line primarypri-group timeslots 1-30 service mgcp

mgcp
mgcp call-agent <<<IP ADDRESS>>> service-type mgcp version 0.1 mgcp dtmf-relay voip codec all mode out-of-band
mgcp bind control source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0 mgcp bind media source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0

For SIP & H323 you can see dial-peer. But for SIP you can see Dial-peers with SIP version.

Remember one thing you can run multiple protocols on same gateway, so may  be you see all three configurations on same gateway.

Above mentioned is just a tip of Iceberg Go through Cisco press books.. configurations guides, SRND etc..

Response Signature

thank you for the info. Much appreciated....