cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vg200 FXS Disconnect

bevans
Level 1
Level 1

We are using a Vg200 with FXS to interface a pbx/intercom system with our ip phone system. This allows our pbx users to get an ouside line (make off-net calls). The setup worked correctly for a few hours. At that point the digital phones on the pbx system would get a fast busy when trying to dial out (via the vg200). The display on their phone would say "Trunk Unavailable." I tried doing a shut/noshut on the FXS ports, that did not fix it. I tried issuing a reload command to the vg200 and that did not fix it either. If I power down the vg200 and power it back on again the service works for about an hour or two. Any suggestions?

4 Replies 4

scott.dupuis
Level 1
Level 1

I experienced the exact issue with a VG200. We were using one FXS port to send an Analog signal to two seperate Paging Amps. The run to one amp was about 800 feet. The REN on the PA was less than .5. But the VG would crash after a couple of hours. I removed one line from from the FXS port and the system stayed up for a few days, then crashed. The second run is close to 400 feet. For a test, I removed all analog lines from the VG, plugged in an analog phone for two weeks. No crash.

I then ran a single analog pair to the TAM-B, then from there to a small paging amp (30w) all within 5 feet. From the small amp, I ran analog to the big amps.

You may want to minimize the run from the VG to the TAM-B (or Eqiv.) The VG is tough, but old, long, and tired copper runs will crash it.

Scott

Thanks Scott, for your reply. Actually, the intercom system that we are interfacing with is less than a few feet away from the VG200. The rj11 connections are less than 6-feet long. The IOS version is 12.2(2)XN, system is 12.1(1r). Do I need to do a firmware or IOS upgrade on this device? Thanks for your time.

Bill

Bill,

You should be okay on your IOS. I am running 12.1(5)XM7early and 12.1(1r). Definately a curious situation. Can you try a diffrent port? Anything else on the FXS card? Does the RJ11 patch cable have only a single pair in the center?

Scott

I don't know what is causing the failure, but you should definitely move off of 12.2.2XN. That release was deferred due to many issues and replaced by 12.2.11T, and now 12.2.13T is out if you have enough flash. One of the issues with 12.2.2XN was with dsp problems, which could very well be accounting for your issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: