cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice mail & backup issue

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,<br><br>For some reason, can I install Unity 3.1 <<voice mail only>> system into two separate machine, one is unity and the other is Exchange.<br><br>In addition, during the backing up the Unity system, do I need to backup the followings:<br>Windows registry / Exchange\Res folder / Commserver Directory <br><br>Thanks for your help very much!!<br><br>

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

yes, you can install Exchange off of the Unity server if you wish, no problem.

I always reccomend backing up the entire system if you're doing a tape backup. Getting down to the specific files/SQL databases, registry info etc... will bring you to grief come restore time.

I have a tool on AnswerMonkey on the Unity 3.x page called "DiRT" (Disaster Recovery Tools) that pull all the Unity specific data out of a system and will write it to a drive (presumably elsewhere on the network but not necessarily). This gets everything except messages (there's an option to get that as well but this is only viable for small voice mail only systems since it uses ExMerge to do it). This will get all the greetings, voice names, registry data, local files etc... that you need for a Unity backup. It's not yet TAC supported but you can see what's being backed up here (most notably the entire UnityDB and ReportDB tables in SQL).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)