cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

'voice net' function in Call Manager?

yuan
Level 1
Level 1

I just attended the Cisco Networkers, some Cisco person told me the new Call Manager 6.0 can do a 'voice net' like feature with IP phones. When I say 'voice net', its different from conference call, but more like radio push-to-talk. Such that I can assign several IP phones to a 'voice group', and any time anyone in this group wants to talk to another phone in the same group. The Cisco guy couldn't tell me the name of that feature, but he said some Unity application can do the same too.

Anyone know more specifically what that function is, and where can I look up more info?

1 Reply 1

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tien,

This is the only new feature in CCM 6.X that sounds close;

Intercom

The Intercom feature allows a user to place a call to a predefined target (phone). The called destination auto-answers the call in speakerphone mode with mute activated. This sets up a one-way voice path between the initiator and the destination, so the initiator can deliver a short message, regardless of whether the called party is busy or idle.

To ensure that the voice of the called party is not sent back to the caller when the intercom call is automatically answered, Cisco Unified Communications Manager implements whisper intercom. Whisper intercom provides only one-way audio from the caller to the called party. The called party must manually press a key to talk to the caller.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note Intercom does not support Cisco Extension Mobility.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Configuration Tips

1. Create intercom partition (Call Routing > Intercom > Intercom Route Partition). When you create an intercom partition, Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration automatically generates a corresponding intercom calling search space with the same name and includes the intercom partition. See Intercom Partition Configuration in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide.

2. Create intercom calling search space (Call Routing > Intercom > Intercom Calling Search Space). When you create an intercom partition, Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration automatically generates a corresponding intercom calling search space with the same name and includes the intercom partition. However, if you need to create a intercom calling search space other than the one that is generated automatically when you create the intercom partition, use these menus. See Intercom Calling Search Space Configuration in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide.

3. Create intercom translation pattern (Call Routing > Intercom > Intercom Translation Pattern). (This step is optional.) See Intercom Calling Translation Pattern Configuration in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide.

4. Create intercom directory number (Call Routing > Intercom > Intercom Directory Number). See Intercom Directory Number Configuration in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide.

5. Add the intercom button to the appropriate phone button template (Device > Device Settings > Phone Button Template). See Phone Button Template Configuration in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide.

6. Assign intercom DN to a phone (Device > Phone > Add New). After completing the device information, click the line to which intercom gets configured. See Directory Number Configuration and Cisco Unified IP Phones Configuration in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide.

GUI Changes

You configure Intercom by using the four new Cisco Unified Communications Manager configuration windows that are provided from Call Routing > Intercom.

Intercom Route Partition

Intercom Calling Search Space

Intercom Directory Number

Intercom Translation Pattern

New Intercom link on the Phone Configuration window, Association Information pane.

New Intercom button on the Phone Button Template Configuration window.

From this 6.x doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/2x/release/notes/cucmbe_relnotes/601ccmrn.html#wp218023

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: