cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice over MPLS

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

Currently am running Voice over my frame network PBX to PBX using PLAR.

voice-port 2/0

connection plar 7724894

!

!

dial-peer cor custom

!

!

!

dial-peer voice 105 voip

destination-pattern 7724894

session target ipv4:10.20.252.1

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

fax protocol t38 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback cisco

ip qos dscp cs5 media

ip qos dscp cs5 signaling

no vad

!

dial-peer voice 4894 pots

destination-pattern 4894

port 2/0

!

dial-peer voice 999 voip

incoming called-number 4894

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

ip qos dscp cs5 media

no vad

We are now installing MPLS from Sprint will my same config work in MPLS or is there other considerations I need to look at ? Is there any tricks in getting voice running across a MPLS network ?

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

I feel you are getting migrated from FR Services to MPLS services provided by Sprint,if this is the case i dont think you need to tweak something on your side but would suggest to get the services part clarified.

You have basically two kinda services in general being offered by the SPs one is managed CPE and another is unmanaged.

In managed CPE they will honour your qos marking and will carry out the same throughout their network w/o changing the strict priority over the other traffic patterns.

But if you choose unamanaged CPE services your QOS markings wont be considered and the SP will use his own marking to carry your traffic.

So if you are going for the unmanaged services your voice quality may get hampered since whatever qos marking being carried at your CPE device wont be valid once its comes to the SP cloud.

Would suggest to get this clarified and move ahead in migration your network..

regds

hsnindia
Level 1
Level 1

No,You cannot use the same configuration.It is good to enable QOS on the MPLS.

That's what I thought !! Sprint will handle QOS.. I can remove the QOS statements.

Thanks

I'm not sure that you want to simply remove your qos markings. You still need to be sure that you mark your traffic such that it will fall into the right "class" of the MPLS provider. Different carriers and services have different standards for what dscps fall into which traffic classes, so you'll need to talk to sprint about that. For example, you would want to mark your control traffic such that it falls in a higher priority queue than internet traffic for example.