cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice VLAN Inactive

williams.jeff
Level 1
Level 1

We're deploying our first production IPT site, and the first phone (no furniture yet, so nowhere to place the others) we plugged in isn't visible to the network. More specifically according to the phone it grabbed an IP in the voice vlan, but not even the connected switch can ping it. The mac address IS visible from the switch. I've gone over all the configs and everything matches our pre-deployment stuff (which works).

The only difference I can see is that on the new sites 3550 'sh vlan' doesn't show the voice vlan, and 'sh int f 0/n switchport' shows the voice vlan to be inactive. What the heck is going on?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I might be on the wrong track here but for a VLAN to become active you either need a switchport configured to access the vlan without trunking:

int fast0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 2 (your voice vlan)

but since you usually want all the ports trunking you can force a VLAN to become active even when all switchports are trunks by typing:

switch(config)# vlan 2

switch(vlan)# state active

which forces the vlan to be active, then do a write mem and it will always be active when switch is rebooted but the command does not show in the running config (it is written to a seperate file in flash).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

ed.youkhanna
Level 1
Level 1

is this a collpased core/dist/access switch?

is the vtp stuff done properly/ (vlans added)

what is the status of the sh vlan __ ?

This is the only switch for that site.

As for the vlans... there isn't a vlan statement for the voice vlan on the switch, but as I said the config is identical to the predeploment mockup which is working fine. The router's interface is subed with the voice vlan. Is there supposed to be voice vlan explicitly created in the switch config?

sh vlan:

VLAN Name Status Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

1 default active Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4, Fa0/5, Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/9, Fa0/10, Fa0/11, Fa0/12

Fa0/13, Fa0/14, Fa0/15, Fa0/16, Fa0/17, Fa0/18, Fa0/19, Fa0/20, Fa0/21

Fa0/22, Fa0/23, Fa0/24, Gi0/1, Gi0/2

1002 fddi-default act/unsup

1003 token-ring-default act/unsup

1004 fddinet-default act/unsup

1005 trnet-default act/unsup

VLAN Type SAID MTU Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp BrdgMode Trans1 Trans2

---- ----- ---------- ----- ------ ------ -------- ---- -------- ------ ------

1 enet 100001 1500 - - - - - 0 0

1002 fddi 101002 1500 - - - - - 0 0

1003 tr 101003 1500 - - - - - 0 0

1004 fdnet 101004 1500 - - - ieee - 0 0

1005 trnet 101005 1500 - - - ibm - 0 0

Remote SPAN VLANs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primary Secondary Type Ports

------- --------- ----------------- ------------------------------------------

sh vlans (on the router):

Virtual LAN ID: 1 (IEEE 802.1Q Encapsulation)

vLAN Trunk Interface: FastEthernet0/0.1

This is configured as native Vlan for the following interface(s) :

FastEthernet0/0

Protocols Configured: Address: Received: Transmitted:

IP 10.162.155.1 3019403 1623545

Virtual LAN ID: 50 (IEEE 802.1Q Encapsulation)

vLAN Trunk Interface: FastEthernet0/0.50

Protocols Configured: Address: Received: Transmitted:

IP 10.163.155.1 0 9299

yeah you will need to create the voice vlan on the switch itself.

I might be on the wrong track here but for a VLAN to become active you either need a switchport configured to access the vlan without trunking:

int fast0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 2 (your voice vlan)

but since you usually want all the ports trunking you can force a VLAN to become active even when all switchports are trunks by typing:

switch(config)# vlan 2

switch(vlan)# state active

which forces the vlan to be active, then do a write mem and it will always be active when switch is rebooted but the command does not show in the running config (it is written to a seperate file in flash).

That did the trick (mostly).

As I said before we have a predeloyment lab with identical configs (we just edited the addresses and put the config in the production boxen), but doing this command the vlan name is 'VLAN0050'- in the lab it's 'VoiceVLAN'. Nobody named it, so where the heck did that name come from?

Thanks!

You can name a Vlan in the same submenu that you type "state active" such as:

switch(config)#vlan 2

switch(vlan-2)#name VoiceVlan

so its possible your vlan was named VoiceVlan on the lab switch, but by default the name is the vlan number thus vlan0050 showed up on the new switch.