cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the fastest way to reinstall a sub while pub on 4.1.3sr2?

p.abbeel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to reinstall a subscriber from the ground up when the pub is running on CCM4.1(3)sr2?

According Cisco you must install the sub on equal version compared with the pub however, does that apply for service releases aswell.

Or is the only alternative to build a new pub & install sub accordingly until the appropriate service release is reached on the sub. Then re-connect the sub to the network where the pub in production runs?

Will it synchronize by default?

If any other ways thanks for sharing,

Peter

13 Replies 13

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will be able to install a subscriber with 4.1(3) CDs w/o problem while the pub is online.

You CANNOT build a subscriber separately from pub - the sub must be able to contact pub.

One major caveat is that all servers in the cluster will have to be rebooted when you are done.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Do you have an excellent link for adding a sub to a pub?

Cheers.

You just go through the installation wizard, specify that the server will be a Subscriber, enter a Publisher information and cluster password. If you select the "Subscriber" option, there is very smooth flow of the installation.

Good luck,

Mike

www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com

Thanks for the rating. Here is doc that should help.

Installing Cisco CallManager on Subscriber Database Server(s)

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/4_1/install/instcall/cm413ins.htm#wp507856

PS:

This is critical that you get SQL upgrade to the same release as the publisher. - BEFORE starting the

CCM 4.1.3 setup from the CD

as like, Installing a winOS with Windows Services Pack 4 is mandatory too (2000.2.7 and higher)

Mismatch between SQL version may lead to problems

And ServicePack 4 of Windows is adding feature to compare to Service Pack 3, that may be require by CCM 4.1.3 (but i'm not sure if it's really the case)

Then, upgrade the CCM to the same Services Release as the publisher too.

Martin

Peter,

I recently did a Pub/Sub 4.1.3 upgrade (from 3.x) and one "stupid" thing I did is ,

a. completed upgrade from 3.x to 4.1.3 on publisher and installed Service release 1 on it.

b. started upgrade on subscriber and it failed, the reason being that publisher was on version 4.1.3sr1.

So I had to go back and uninstall SR1 from Publisher and then restart the Subscriber install. This time it worked with out any issues. Once both CMs were on the same version, I installed SR1 on both servers (publisher first and subscriber last).

So in your case, I would believe you will have to uninstall SR2 on 4.1.3 and then install subscriber and then apply SR2 on both servers.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for your advice.

I know that the CCM 4.1(3) SR1 and/or SR2 make adaptions to the database. By uninstalling SR1/2 from the publisher isn't there a risk of "corrupting" the publisher?

Is there a document generated by Cisco.com that confirms you are allowed to un-install a service release pack in order to be able to install a sub?

Thanks a lot,

Peter

I cant find a document that says you have to uninstall SR1/2 to make this to work, but that was the only way I could upgrade the subscriber. I had to uninstall SR1 from publisher and then upgrade the subscriber, and finally update the SR1 patch on both publisher and subscriber.

Here is the release notes on 4.1.3SR1 which indicates how to uninstall 4.1.3 SR1.

http://www.spanlink.com/downloads/services/mtce/CM4.1(3)SR1.htm#_Toc107909230

The DB will not be corrupt, as it downgrades the database and completely removes the SR1 patches. It shows a messages at the very end, saying 4.1.3 SR1 uninstall is complete, and asks you to reboot the server.

I would recommend backup of the 4.13SR1 database so that in case you have any trouble, you can restore the system back before doing this.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Good idea!

Hi,

In case the pub is running with ccm0301 will the sub know to connect to ccm0301 instead of the default SQL database ccm0300?

Thanks a lot,

Peter

Hi Peter,

The sub will get the information about which database to use from the registry of the publisher. This will not be a problem.

Thanks

Steven

Steven,

Is it a given fact that you can only re-install a subscriber (when pub is on eg. 4.1(3)sr2) if you downgrade the pub to 4.1(3) first by un-installing the service release?

A lot of confusion now as some downgrade and other just install the sub with 4.1(3) media cd set.

Thx,

Peter

Hinho,

Just to let know that I successfully re-installed the subscriber by just launching the 4.1(3) cd media set - without downgrading the publisher.

After 4.1(3) was installed; I upgraded towards 4.1(3)sr2. The sub is running like a train.

Thanks a lot!

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: