cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

whether To use Vo/FR or, Vo/IP over Frame?

wdawes
Level 1
Level 1

Scenario: LA, NYC and SF will have 256K PVC frame-relay circuits to the customer's HQ in Upstate, NY (768K PVC.) They want to do data and voice over each PVC. Each branch office will have a new 1760 router, and there will be a 2600 at HQ. Occasionally, the branch offices will want to call each other, although most of the calling will be between HQ and the branch offices. We tried to sell the customer an IP telephony solution (Call Manager and IP phones), but they have opted instead for small Nortel keysets at the branch offices and a PBX and HQ. The PBXs at each office will connect to E&M cards in the routers, for tie-line functionality.

Question: should I use a Vo/FR or Vo/IP over Frame solution?

I think that in the above case, Vo/IP over Frame is the way to go, but I don't have a strong argument one way or the other. Can you make a suggestion?

2 Replies 2

rokibbe
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with the VoIP over Frame for it's relative simplicity and resource conservation. You're citing smaller routers, and most likely, they're running with baseline DRAM. Remember that all these queueing strategies and other such processes (on top of "basic" routing) all require DRAM and processor resources--in these smaller implementations, those items tend to be less abundant than in a 3660 or other higher end router. I'd imagine that a simple policy route raising IP precedence to 5 on the VOIP traffic, or even better (from a Keep It Simple and Small perspective) would be to include the IP precedence 5 line in your voice-port config so the precedence is set at the time the packet is created. In most cases, that's all it takes. Don't go for a 20-pound sledge when a simple claw hammer will do the job.

Why do you go for VOIP solution when everything can be keep at Layer 2, wouldn't this be require less DRAM, What about if this was ISDN CCS or Pri-Qsig???

Why involve ip compression tagging and so on if it is not an end-to-end solution.

What does VOIP offer that VOFR could not deliver, as I see it the VOIP will be more bandwidth, with PBX's at the end sights.

Keep simple no need to use the upper layers at all

Comments