cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will new License MAC be generated if NTP server is changed in Call Manager 8.6(2)?

jamize
Level 1
Level 1

We are changing our NTP server IP Address and will change from IP Addressing in the Call Manager 8.6(2) to the actual DNS name.  I've read that this will generate a new License MAC that will only be valid for 30 days.  We are using MCS servers and need to know if we have to have a valid license re-issued from Licensing.

Thanks,

Jeff            

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

That only affects UC on UCS as the license MAC is a hash from several values, the MAC from MCS servers remain the same no matter what you change on CUCM.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

yhung
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think that's what Jaime meant on his comment. New License MACs only come to play on a virtualized environment. If you have your CUCM installed directly on MCS server, then the license MAC is static and will never change, regardless of your settings. If you have CUCM installed inside ESXi running on your MCS server, then because it's virtualized, it will change.

Thanks,

Yung

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. The NTP Server 1 is used in the License MAC

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Licensing_Model_for_Virtualized_UC_Applications

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Since we are using MCS servers, does that mean we "won't" have to have a new License MAC reissued?  The documentation indicates it's only required if running vm ware.

That only affects UC on UCS as the license MAC is a hash from several values, the MAC from MCS servers remain the same no matter what you change on CUCM.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

jamize
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the reply, however, that really didn't answer the question.

"Since we are using MCS servers,does that mean we "won't" have to have a new License MAC or file reissued?  The documtation indicates it's only required if running vm ware."

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff

yhung
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think that's what Jaime meant on his comment. New License MACs only come to play on a virtualized environment. If you have your CUCM installed directly on MCS server, then the license MAC is static and will never change, regardless of your settings. If you have CUCM installed inside ESXi running on your MCS server, then because it's virtualized, it will change.

Thanks,

Yung

I'm sorry I wasn't clear.  Yes....we are only running CUCM on the MCS server direct...not virtualized. 

Thank you both for answering so quickly.  I have to change the ntp setting tonight and restart the servers.

Thanks!!!

Jeff