cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows Media Player - WebEx MP4 Playback

trinityr
Level 1
Level 1

We have several users trying to playback a previously recorded and converted WebEx session that is already in an MP4 format.  We do not own this recording so we are unable to review file details or re-convert the original file.  I've tried several MP4 codecs already, but Windows Media Player is still unable to play these MP4's.  What are the recommended options for WebEx MP4 playback with Windows Media Player?  Is there a standalone player for these file types?  Does Cisco have a media player preference that they know is supported for playback?

9 Replies 9

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've experienced some shocking issues with the old Windows Media Player trying to play back some content and it just not working. We eventually gave up trying to use Windows Media Player and installed VLC on most fo the machines where we need to have the most flexible media playing capabilities and haven't looked back.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I saw a lot of posts regarding VLC. I use it at home. Unfortunately, I've
been told that VLC was not an acceptable solution. Hence my request for
more information regarding codecs. I've tried using the K-Lite Codec Mega
Pack, but that did not work.

I will pass your input along. Hoping this help provide some leverage to get
VLC into our organization.

We had also played around with many different codec packs and configurations.   In the end it was much easier and simpler just to deploy VLC as a media player option than to waste time and resources trying to make things work with Windows Media Player.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

timspiller
Level 1
Level 1

Do you happen to know which version of Windows Media Player you are running?

We are running Windows Media Player 12.

You can configure the Windows Media Player so that it automatically downloads and installs updates and codec enhancements from the Internet when available. This makes more sense in most cases than manually in the Internet codec packs to search for. Some of the circulating on the Internet, free codec packs are not mature or with malicious software. In the worst cases, these programs break the functionality of Windows Media Player.

1. Start Windows Media Player as described above, and then click Tools on the menu bar.

2. Click Options.

3. On the Player tab, select either Once a day or Once a weekunder Automatic updates.

4. Click OK.

- Let me know if this helps!

Our Windows Media Player says it has a codec to play MP4 files types, but
it still reports the error.
Codec support found by
- Opening Windows Media Player

- Press Alt to bring up the menua

- Help -> About Windows Media Player.

- Click Technical Support Information

[image: image.png]

I've felt for years Windows Media Player has come up short for media types
newer than 2002. This isn't the first time we've encountered this problem
and I don't feel it will be our last. I'm writing up a case to get VLC
installed within our enterprise desktops.

Thank you all

VLC should work for just about any codec. I’m glad you are getting things figured out and hope all goes well!

@trinityr wrote:
I'm writing up a case to get VLC installed within our enterprise desktops.

From what we have expereincef here, this will be one of the better choices.  Best of luck with your case.  As I said in an earlier post, we haven't looked back since doing this, VLC is considerably more compatible and functional than the old Windows Media Player.

Another option for if your case is unforunate enough to not get passed, we found that the Windows 10 "Films and TV" app would also play some files that Windows Media Player refused to, so that could also be an option, but you'd have to test the files you have with it first to make sure they worked (or not).

Wayne
--
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: