Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows Updates - Cisco TCS Server

Dean O'Meara
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please can someone advise if Cisco recommend turning on Windows updates for the TCS Server? I have checked the guides and all I see is it is safe to install Microsoft security patches.

At the minute we have Windows updates turned off but would like to turn these on if possible.

Cheers.

9 Replies 9

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Dean

I have TCS and windows updates is on and i do not have any issues  , to make sure you have to move your post to Telepresece , many experts will share with you the good answers.

Thanks

Please rate all useful infomation

Thank you.

Would Cisco still support this product if full Windows updates are installed?

Hi

Can you share TCS server name and software version?.

Thanks

Please rate all useful information

We are using

Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Enterprise Edition Service Pack 2

TCS Software Version: v5.1 Build 3121

Hi Dean

No isues , there is no document which advises to keep the windows without updates . If you have a smartnet , you will get the help any time with Cisco TAC . No isues .

Thanks

Thanks. I have raised this with Cisco and will keep you posted on the outcome.

Offical reply from Cisco.

==========================

Hi Dean,

This is Traian, Cisco TAC, glad to be assisting.

The first resource to watch in this scenario is the product bulletin here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11347/prod_bulletins_list.html

If no counter recommendations there, TCS should get the MS Security patches.

A full backup is highly recommended before installing any patches/updates.

It is good practice and a safety net in case issues are associated to the updates.

The general policy is that we provide a list of recommended Windows updates to the link above.

You can leave the automatic updates to on, and this will generally not cause problems at least if there are no known issues. If Windows updates cause issues and they are not mentioned by Cisco as recommended updates, it is up to the customer to restore from backup (see above). We have seen several situations in which TCSs were applied updates (including turning automatic windows updates to on) with no issues.

Hope this answers your question and you'll get lots of ratings on the forum page

Thank you.

Regards,

Traian

Hi Dean

1-As you got , you can do it but make sure that every thing has relation to microsoft is original not free versions or free patches.

2-Backup is one of the most important steps to be safe.

Thanks

Hello Dean -

Whenever I asked this same questions to TAC and even my local Cisco reps, they provided me the same answer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: