cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7K design question

dmooregfb
Level 5
Level 5

I have a single 7009 with dual Sup-2 running 6.1(3) for a core replacement, modules include one N7K-M148GT-11L and two N7K-F248XP-25 modules. I am looking at creating multiple VDCs, and will eventually link my DR site via OTV using the M1 card.

My question(s) is/are, how would one tie the M1 card back into the VDC design if M1 and F2 cards are not compatible in the same VDC? It seem somewhat useless for not being able to have access to my copper ports within a VDC. Even if I setup a VDC for just the M1 card, do I need an external device to connect to the other VDCs F2 ports or can I use a VRF to achieve the internal connection?

Any suggestions would be helpful and thanks!

Dave

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As Andras mentioned you need to separate the M1 and F2 in two different VDCs

if you want to deploy OVT you will need to have a third VDC for the OVT using the recommended OVT appliance design

see the third example in the below document i posted in CSC before

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27427

keep in mind that you need to have a good traffic engineering L2/L3 with proper link capacity planing in a topology like this and try to keep it simple as three VDCs topology is complex enough !

HTH

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My question(s) is/are, how would one tie the M1 card back into the VDC design if M1 and F2 cards are not compatible in the same VDC?

Late in 2012, Cisco released the improved version of the F2 card, F2e.  F2 card, you see, has a technical design fault of not being able to co-habitate with M1/M2/F1 card in the same vDC.

F2e, in the next NX-OS, will bridge that.

If you are interested, talk to your AM and talk to them about getting your F2 swapped/replaced with an F2e card.

Inter-VDC communication can only be done via external cabling ( Intra chassis ) between the differnt VDC ports in this case M1 to F2

if you add OTV it will be between M1 & F2, and between M1-OTV VDC and (M1,F2 VDCs ) based on your design

5 Replies 5

Andras Dosztal
Level 3
Level 3

You have to separate them into two VDCs, but you can connect the two VDC directly. It may look weird for the first time , but it works.

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As Andras mentioned you need to separate the M1 and F2 in two different VDCs

if you want to deploy OVT you will need to have a third VDC for the OVT using the recommended OVT appliance design

see the third example in the below document i posted in CSC before

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27427

keep in mind that you need to have a good traffic engineering L2/L3 with proper link capacity planing in a topology like this and try to keep it simple as three VDCs topology is complex enough !

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My question(s) is/are, how would one tie the M1 card back into the VDC design if M1 and F2 cards are not compatible in the same VDC?

Late in 2012, Cisco released the improved version of the F2 card, F2e.  F2 card, you see, has a technical design fault of not being able to co-habitate with M1/M2/F1 card in the same vDC.

F2e, in the next NX-OS, will bridge that.

If you are interested, talk to your AM and talk to them about getting your F2 swapped/replaced with an F2e card.

Inter-VDC communication can only be done via external cabling ( Intra chassis ) between the differnt VDC ports in this case M1 to F2

if you add OTV it will be between M1 & F2, and between M1-OTV VDC and (M1,F2 VDCs ) based on your design

dmooregfb
Level 5
Level 5

Good information. Thanks for all the responses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: