cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Unified Computing System Express (UCSE)

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Radhika Miriyala

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn how to install, upgrade and configure and troubleshoot Unified Computing System Express (UCSE) with  Radhika Miriyala.  Radhika has been with Cisco for more than six years. As a lead engineer in the Engineering group, she is an expert on Cisco Unified Computing System Express. She has worked on Cisco Integrated Services Routers as well as on SRE (services ready engine) modules. She has helped to design, deploy, and troubleshoot customer networks from small customer topologies to extensive distributed solutions. She also helps with designs for scalability of the solution, documentation, partner training, and system engineer training. In addition, she works closely with the Cisco Technical Assistance Center to resolve complex issues.

Remember to use the rating system to let Radhika know if you have received an adequate response. 

Radhika might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Center sub-community discussion forum shortly after the event.   This event lasts through November 4, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

19 Replies 19

Hi Radhika,

What is best Quick Configuration tool Available to configure CME and CUE for 8.x Version?? As earlier QCT was there but now I think it's not available. I have old QCT but it's not support ISR 29xx Series Routers.

Please advice.

Hi Shyam,

Thanks for the interest and asking the question.  This Ask the expert session is for UCS express that if different from CUE and CME.

But in general the tool recommended for configuring CUE is Cisco Configuration Proffessional (CCP). You can find more about this tool at www.cisco.com/go/ccp and you can find more about CUE it self at www.cisco.com/go/cue

Thanks,

Radhika

Hi there,

can you tell us in brief what is UCSE? I know about B and C series servers but don't have a clue about this UCS Express thing?

Thanks,

Tenaro

Hi Tenaro,

Thanks for interest in the UCSE Product.

Cisco Unified Computing System Express (UCS Express) provides a converged computing, virtualization, and networking platform for hosting essential infrastructure services and mission-critical business applications in the lean branch office.

It comprises the following:

Cisco Services Ready Engine (SRE) x86 Service module

Cisco Services Ready Engine Virtualization (SRE-V) server virtualization platform powered by VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi)

Cisco Integrated Management Controller Express (IMC Express) blade management system

The SRE service module goes into the Cisco ISR G2 (integrated services router generation 2) routers.  The hardware has the Micorosft certifictaions for WHQL and SVVP to run mulitiple windows servers on it.

You can find more information on this at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5719/ps11273/at_a_glance_c45-625002.pdf

Please feel free to ask any more questions you might have.

Thanks,

Radhika

Thanks for the quick response!

Is this module officially supported by UC team (Unified Communications), i.e. can I run CUCM or Unity on it? If not, anything on the (commited) roadmap?

Regards,

Tenaro

Tenaro,

Currently CUCM and Unity are not supported on UCS express by the UC team.  We hope to get the support on the next genration of the UCS express hardware.

Thanks,

Radhika

John Ventura
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Radhika,

I have a quick question.

Are there any restrictions on what applications or Operating systems that can be run on SRE-V?

Hi John

UCS express current version of product is based on Vmware esxi hypervisor. So you can run any Operating systems that esxi supports. The hardware is also Microsoft WHQL certified for windows 2008 and SVVP certified so you should be able run any windows on top of the hypervsior.

In terms of applications are you talking Cisco applications or third party applications? If it is third party applications on top of say windows then you can run the application as long as the system meets the hardware requirements.

Thanks,

Radhika

erickrod54
Level 1
Level 1

Hii everyone please help me i have a problem with a switch i hope that you can help me to fix it this maybe has a easy solution but i don't know how to do it, push the link to check it:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2113519

Hi Eric,

This forum is for discussion on UCS express produc and not the right alias for Siwtching questions.  I hope you have got the help you need to resolve the issue if not please contact cisco TAC.

Thanks,

Radhika

Oh sorry Radhika i didnt see the alias pardon me, i made the post of my problem in the right alias of the section of switching but my probem its worst that i thoght thanks

doug.rowland
Level 1
Level 1

I love the idea of UCS Express.  kinda helps with the vision of Remote Office in a Box solutions.

A couple of questions. 

Does Cisco (or another vendor) make storage blades for UCS Express? 

Also, is there a timeframe for when more powerful Intel blades will be released?  A quad-core 32GB blade would be ideal for us to run ESXi on and be enough horsepower to run our remote VM's.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug,

You are exactly right remote office in a BOX is the one of most important use case for UCS express.

The next generation of hardware with more powerful Intel processor and more memory will be available in FALL of 2012. For more details on this you can contact ask-sre-pm@cisco.com or check the www.cisco.com/go/ucse which will be updated as we get closer to the release of the hardware.

In terms of storage the UCS express sre hardware currently comes with 500 GB or 1 terra byte of hard disk. If you are looking for external storage than Cisco does not make these for the ucs express at this point.

Thanks,

Hi Radhika,

Can you tell me if I  we reconfigure the RAID option after installation?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: