cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 1001-x HA redundancy setup/configuration

A M
Level 1
Level 1

I have two ASR 1001-x routers I would like to setup in a data center with HA. I want the configuration to be in a way that traffic will continue to flow to one router if the other one goes offline for any reason. I believe this is setup using a virtual IP address that's shared by both routers. I'm not looking for a HSRP setup.

Does anyone have any good documentation on how this can be configured with commands and what they do? It can be Cisco doc or a tutorial or a lab. I've looked online and haven't found the documentation very helpful or intuitive for what I'm looking to do. Any help would be appreciated.

7 Replies 7

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you provide more details about the setup? What are the other devices involved in the topology/traffic flow apart from these two ASR's? Which features/protocols are configured that need to be restored? 

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Please see the attached diagram. I need traffic to flow from the WAN (ISP) to one of the ASRs while the other one is in standby mode. If the active router fails for any reason, traffic should continue to flow through the second ASR. The configuration I'm interested in is on the two ASR routers. The rest of the internal network is not relevant at this point. The switch connected to the WAN is just an unconfigured switch I'm using in GNS3.

The ASR 1001-X, ASR 1001-HX, ASR 1002-HX, ASR 1002-X, and ASR 1004 support dual Cisco IOS Software redundancy with a single route-processor configuration. This feature is not supported on the ASR 1006, ASR 1006-X, ASR 1009-X, or ASR 1013.

ASR 1000 Series Routers support Nonstop Forwarding (NSF), Stateful Switchover (SSO), ISSU, and online Insertion and removal (OIR)

The ASR 1001-X, ASR 1001-HX, ASR 1002-HX, ASR 1002-X, and ASR 1004 support dual Cisco IOS Software redundancy, sub-package software upgrade and downgrade, and NSF. For the ASR 1004, Cisco IOS Software redundancy requires 4 GB of DRAM on the route processor 1 (ASR1000-RP1) and a High Availability license (Cisco IOS Software redundancy license). For the ASR 1001-X, ASR 1001-HX, ASR 1002-HX, and ASR 1002-X, Cisco IOS Software redundancy requires 8 GB of DRAM and the Cisco IOS Software redundancy license.

HTH

Manish

OK, so it is supported on the platform indicated.

You still have not shown the config to do it.

Did you ever get this configured?  I'd like to do an HA pair as well.

See configuring Stateful Switchover: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ha/configuration/xe-16-8/ha-xe-16-8-book/ha-config-stateful-switchover.html#GUID-EAAFC404-4827-4E14-9CF2-1AC515A80257

I haven't done this yet myself but from what I can find this is what you do. To me it makes no sense without a diagram and there is no control and datalink like you might find in a firewall failover configuration.

My thoughts, since this isn't a common practice with easy to find configuration documents is to buy a pair of Palo Alto Networks firewalls and configure them in HA with BGP or whatever you need for routing, etc. There is no need to license any additional features so just get a PA firewall with a support license. Threat, and other licenses are not required but you could.

Benefits of the Palo Alto option would be known HA configuration used by thousands of customers across the globe... not just us, no nickel-and-dime licensing for every interface and throughput requirement you have. Throw in multiple 1gig ports with aggregation or use SFP+ for 10 gig. As long as the box supports the throughput you will get it without additional cost! 

Brian.bsi
Level 1
Level 1

Did anyone get a solution for this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: