cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Compatibility between QSFP-10G-LR-S and SFP-10G-SR

reynaldolopeza
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Switch N9K-C93108TC-EX and we want to have 10G fiber connections to a few servers, through a patch panel similar to the attached image. I found out that QSFPs can be break out to 10G, and we are choosing the QSFP-4X10G-LR-S module, but in the servers side we already have SFP-10G-SR modules.

I could not find compatibility information about those. One is LR and the other one SR, but there will any problems? The connection will be just for Ethernet (No FCoE needed) and in a distance <100m.

Thanks in advanced.

IMG_6939.jpg

2 Replies 2

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The LR and SR are two different optics with two different feature sets. You will need to have matching SFP on both ends in order to be in a supported configuration.

Will the LR and SR bring a link up between them? Possibly, since there will be laser light passing between them. 

Will you have unexpected problems using LR and SR mixed SFP on a link? Also, very possible.

Hi Wes,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I couldn't find a similar QSFP that helps me breakout QSFP to 4 10G-SR and conect to a patch panel. If you know a QSFP module that would work in mi case I would really appreciate you letting me know.

Kind Regards,

Reynaldo Lopez

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: