Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure RSPAN on Nexus 9300/9500

mohdtaamneh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Expert,

May I know if the RSPAN (NOT ERSPAN) is supported on both nexus 9300 and 9500?

Best Regards,

Mohammad Taamneh

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi no its not supporting rspan only erspan and span , I would say the reasoning behind this is that vxlan gets rid of stp basically by using vteps tunnels so in spine and leaf there is no layer 2 as its tunnelled  

Hi Mark, do you know if I rspan trafic can be carried through a 9300/9500 like that even if my rspan vlan is not declared as remote-span :

SourcePort --- 3650 SourceSwitch --- Nexus9300 --- 3650 DestinationSwitch --- DestinationPort

Hi Florent

i don't think so i haven't exactly tested that but as It can't disable MAC address learning per VLAN which is needed for RSPAN traffic to pass through it i don't think it will work , but erspan would

I confirm ... i tried to configure rspan but it doesn't work

And for erspan, 3650 only support erspan as a source switch in the latest versions (denali and everest), the same for Nexus 9300.

I had to connect my sources and destination devices on the same switch and make local span :(

Thanks for confirming 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: