cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting N93180-YC-EX with WS-C4506-E. Kindly explain the suggested way

karthik.r911
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a requirement to deploy N93180-YC-EX as extended switch from my existing WS-C4506-E switch. Attached image to brief the scenario

Kindly suggest best way to extend.

N9k will have vPC configuration , not really sure about Catalyst side when connecting with Nexus. Plss suggest.

Thanking you in advance!!!!

9 Replies 9

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @karthik.r911 

Configuring your C4500 in VSS would be the best option. This way you will have one single port-channel/vPC between N9Ks and C4500, and no more STP blocked linkes.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Hi @Sergiu.Daniluk 

Going with VSS is not possible bcz we dont want to disturb the existing network. Looking workaround without changing my current setup.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if the Cat 4500 Layer 2 only between STP come in to play, but you can change the priority for the VLAN - for example Odd VLAN Switc1 priority - even Sw2 priority so on.

If there is no Layer 2 requirement between (Core as Cat 45000 - DC core as Nexus - as i assume here), I would suggest going with Layer 3 port-channel between nexus and Cat 4500 is the best option.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi @balaji.bandi 

Both C4506 and N9k will act as L2 bcz all my SVI's are configured on firewall. 

C4506 (as L2) are the Core switches in current network. Need to extend same with N9k for New servers connectivity.

Looking for workaround without changing (C4506 to support VSS) my current setup.

If you are extending Layer2 with Nexus, then you need to consider nexus not to become a root bridge for your VLAN already exiting in the Cat 4500 as a core. (i am sure Cat 4500 STP running with Lower priority) - nexus should be a higher priority - so they do not become root bridges.

if you want to balance the traffic use all links optimally, then to do STP balance as suggest in my other post. (there is not much we can do with STP here - STP is the devil in most cases).

BB

Hi @balaji.bandi

Plan is to Config the Cat 45k end as Port-channel and Nexus end as vPC (shown in attachment). will this work? . any precheck's required ?

Sure that is the general deployment take advantage of vPC - when you using nexus.

- build the kit offline - nexus vPC  - make sure you allowed all the VLAN required VPC peerlink.

- as long as the configuration is taken care of best practice, I do not see any issue here

- Join to cat 4500 one link at the time (means switch 1 to nexus - once checks performance - Sw2 to nexus)  - in the maintenance window.

BB

Hi @balaji.bandi 

Thanks for suggesting . Will keep posted for further queries.

What is the best practice for Keep-Alive link. To Config on Data port or Mgmt0 Port ?

What is the best practice for Keep-Alive link. To Config on Data port or Mgmt0 Port ?

explain more - what device these are.

The new device adding will be no Live network right?

The first step adds nexus to the live network - then later part is configure other requirements.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: