Views
Helpful
Replies

Data Center connections - Relocation

multiplexer002
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am working in a Data Center and we are preparing for relocation by the end of the next week. 

I was given the task to document all the physical connections between N7k - N5k - FEX 2224 - FEX 2232 - MDS 9506 - DS 9250i.

I need to get the information of the physical ports with which neighbor ports are connected.

Just to inform you we have some ESXi that are physical connected to 2232 and the IMM ports of the ESXi to 2224.

I am using the "sh cdp neighbors" but I am not getting any info for the ESXi servers that are connected to the FEX 2232 (ESXi have two cards with two ports each). Two ports are used for LAN traffic, via vPC, and the other two for FC traffic (storage).

I need the same information for the ports of MDS 9506 and 9250i . 

Please advice me accordingly 

Regards

John

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

VMWare ESXi does not send CDP information by default.  It only listens.  You need to run this command on each vSwitch on each physical host "esxcfg-vswitch -B both vSwitch1".

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1003885

I activated the cdp on the ESXi but I got back only the vnic and not the physical ports.

I also need to get the same information for the MDS 9506 and DS 9250i. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: