Views
Helpful
Replies

DC Design related

Jacob Samuel
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,
i would liketoknow little bit ABT Data Center networking Side.
i need to provide solution to a DC, wherei need to connect 20 Blade Servers and some Rack Mount Servers to the Network and need connectivity to the SAN.
i have N7K at the Core and N5K at the Access and N2K as the OTR switches. Rack Mounts Servers would be connecting tot the N2K OTR on 1G link and This will connec to the N5K on 2x10G uplinks. Again from N5K it will be connecting to the N7K Core.
my question can I connect the Blade Servers also directly to the N2K OTR Switch? Or do i need to connect to the Fabric Inter Connect 6248 Switch?
where I can connect the SAN to the Network? Can I connect it from the 6248 Fabric Inter Connect Switch? If I can connect what are the items Lic I quired in this box?
can I connect the SAN to the N5K switch? If I can connect what are the items / Lic I required n the Box?
if I can connect the Fabric Interconnect 6248 or N5K switch to the SAN, then what is the difference between Cisco MDS Switches to these?

2 Replies 2

Hi Jac

AFAIK, if you  need to connect SAN devices to N5k , you might need  but SAN space licensing or software upgrade to N5k, i've worked with MDS before to be honest they are more like a standard SAN switch which only used for SAN based network with subsecond latency for FCOE or ISCSI system,  regarding your blade server conenction ? are you using fibre or copper ? logical would be connecting them to N2k  as you have TOR switch avail but depends on speed requirement 1G/!10G? copper fibre, what sort of  N2k  , N5k ?

Kumar 

mohsin-raza
Level 1
Level 1

Blade switches...if u r using UCS u need FI..
If u r using hp u can use cisco b22hp or vc 10 for 10-G, or cisci 3160 for 1 g copper.
N2k does not really connect blade switches due to bpfu guard, u can direclty connect blade switch to n5k of Sfp-10G-SR. I'm sure u r using fet for n2k to n5k connectivty....using n5k had its own issues wen u want to use it for storage specialy if u alreafy have other san switch in ur network or ur san doesnt support fcoe...also it needs UP license to carry fc...
U

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: