cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DCI, FP or OTV?

liguoriariel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, We are adding a second site and want to interconnect with primary (running FP on two 7010 boxes), we are going to have a 2x10G DWDM links to secondary which is going to get only one 7010 box. For DCI is best scalable OTV, but in this case and thinking that we own the DWDM can we consider deploy FP instead of OTV for DCI?

I also know that with OTV can we configure HSRP with same IP on two DC, can we do the same with FP? i believe not but just want to hear if someone achieve similar results with this config.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Sandip Rathod
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

If you are having only two site connected back to back with 2 X 10G DWDM link, then you can achieve the same result via vPC as well.

For HSRP it;s recommended to have active / standaby in one DC, and active / standby in another DC

For example you have 2 N7K in each DC, and you are doing HSRP between all 4 N7K, then one of the N7K will be active,

Consider site 1 N7K became active, then for inter communication between site 2, traffic need to pass through site 1 only, because it is active device between all 4 N7K.

I am just wondering why you want to go with FP ?

Regards,

Sandip

Hi, thanks for the reply,

Just to clarify, only one Nexus box on second DC.

I'm propossing DCI with vPC as you mention with HSRP (same group) on both sites and filtering messages to keep both active, in this way I can ensure egress path optimization.

OTV seems unnecesary to me, I know that we earn some benefits using it but doesnt seems to be necesary, at least from my point of view.

FP came into action cause actually we're running FP on DC1 (the one with the 2 N7K boxes) and someone has the brilliant idea to use for interconnection instead of OTV, the only real benefit that I see of FP over OTV is the link utilization (load balancing).

I believe that the best design here is with vPC, also considering that we are going to have some workload mobility down this so keeping same DG on FHRP it's a must and FP cannot acomplish that, that brings only two options for me OTV and vPC and comparing pros/cons I believe that vPC is better.

The idea behind this post was discuss if this seems correct to you, and also hva solid background to decline FP option (again, it doesnt have any sense to me).

Thanks!

Hi,

why it is better to choose vPC in front of OTV in layer 2 DCI?

In case we must have layer 3 DCI it wouldn't be better to have a layer 3 OTV link instead of one link for layer 3 and another link for layer 2 link for vPC?

Thanks.

J

Hi Jordi

I would say it;s all about requirement, OTV actually design for DCI, with vPC we still have limitation to send Layer 3 traffic, you can use alternate approach like having separate L3 link between two DC for L3 traffic

Below document covers both scenario for DCI, with vPC and with OTV

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/DCI/4.0/EMC/EMC_2.html#wp1261504

HTH

Regards,

Sandip

Thank you very much for the info Sandip, much appreciate it.

Regards,

J

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: