cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deploying VPC in an existing scenario

Serrapede
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to deploy VPC in my scenario. I already own my vlans normally. What was not clear to me is, when I implement VPC, should I recreate my entire vlan environment, or will my existing vlan become VPC VLANs? Additionally, can I put my peer link as a trunk? or should i point out each vlan that will travel through it?

I appreciate the help

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Serrapede 

You do not have to reconfigure the vlans; the term vPC Vlans means "the vlans which are allowed on vpc peer-link and which follow the rules of vPC or are affected by vPC mechanisms".  As soon as you allow a vlan on the vpc peer link it becomes a vpc vlan. There is no other special config to "make it" vpc vlan.

The vPC peer link is always a trunk, but you can be selective to which vlans to allow over it.

I would strongly recommend you reading this document: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf  Its the best document to read for understanding the vPC.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

Yes, the moment the vPC peer-link is configured and comes up (assuming that vPC domain is configured correctly) the vlans are vPC vlans. You can use "show vpc" or "show vpc brief" to see the vpc vlans (basically the vlans allowed on peer-link).

Cheers,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Serrapede 

You do not have to reconfigure the vlans; the term vPC Vlans means "the vlans which are allowed on vpc peer-link and which follow the rules of vPC or are affected by vPC mechanisms".  As soon as you allow a vlan on the vpc peer link it becomes a vpc vlan. There is no other special config to "make it" vpc vlan.

The vPC peer link is always a trunk, but you can be selective to which vlans to allow over it.

I would strongly recommend you reading this document: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf  Its the best document to read for understanding the vPC.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Thanks, that was exactly my question, if I needed to do any additional config. So, just by activating my peer-link, which is always a trunk, are my vlans already "vpc vlans"?

Yes, the moment the vPC peer-link is configured and comes up (assuming that vPC domain is configured correctly) the vlans are vPC vlans. You can use "show vpc" or "show vpc brief" to see the vpc vlans (basically the vlans allowed on peer-link).

Cheers,

Sergiu

you have already VLAN, i.e. you add vPC into what network?
can we see topology ? 

What I meant is that my environment is already working, with my vlans, normally, but without the VPC.
And I want to introduce vpc into my scenario

Friend it is not easy to say YES here, 
the non vPC is connect to both nexus peer is one active and other is standby , and also the STP is also different.
for vPC BOTH connect to both nexus peer is active and work.
the SW or Server "host" connect to OLD is effect if you not take care about some point.