cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design ideas

usasigcis
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of 7004 ,(2)5548up, (2)6001 and some 2k , whats the best practice to build a dc jnfrastructure with whats in hand
No UCS , Some blade servers will be running esx5.1 in the dc along with some appliances whi h will go to 2Ks
Where to use vpc, vdc, fabricpath u shape or v shape l2/l3 etc...

Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

7 Replies 7

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First of all you need to keep in mind you dont need to use all the features within nexus switch in your DC unless you need it

for example you need to consider using vPC or fabricPath and from the size of you network i suggest you to go with vPC

vPC can be between the N6K to the N7K

also from the server to the N6K/2K for active/active services you can use vPC too

usasigcis
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for yohr response
I was thinking the same but Why vpc?
Also, I d like to take advantage of vmotion from hp blade chassis to racked servers conected to the nexus 2Ks
I ll try to come up with a small diagram
Cant really tell the difference between 6K & 5K if I wont use L3

Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Fabric path can be more useful when you've large L2 domain many access to distribution switches and uplinks

however for something like you network vPC is perfect I am not saying fabric path wont be good but vPC fit better in your case

for N5K and N6K

use N6K:

Medium to High density compact  10G deployments

Integrated and line rate L3

Enhanced scale  (Tables, FEX, throughput)

NAT, PIM-BiDir, Analytics

Use N5K :

Low to medium density 10G deployments

UP/Native FC support

hope this help,

make sure to rate the helpful posts, good luck

where would you use Nexus 2K ? uplink to 6K or 5K?

first of all nexus 2K is like a remote line card, for access ports and it can be used with N5K, N6K and N7K depends on the design, port density and the topology

hope this help

ajay pandey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

You are having good strength of Nexus products to build a DC.

I would suggest below desgin option for you, may be using below method u can make a Good setup.

1]Use N5K & N2k as access layer for 1G/10G connection for various network server devices based on requirments.

2]You can connect N2k either of N5k N6k, or N7K depending on requirments & port availiability with you.

3]Use one of N6K or N7K as your l2 routing device & keep one of device as L3 core for routing device.

4]In case you have only a single DC you just need to decide core, distribution & access layer & connect all using VPC feature and desing can be much simpler and redundant setup.

Please let me know if you had started with setup and how did u finzlised to go ahead.

This looks quite intresting small DC setup requirments.

Hi Ajay

Thanks for your response, I actually completed the project

I used non blade servers to go to 2k ->6k(l2) ->7k (l3 SVI)

And           Blade servers to go to 5k-> 7k(l3 SVI)

It's all about VPC , I wish i could play with fabric path as well but didn't seem to be feasible

You are right It has been a fun project.

Thanks,

Sinan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: