Sonugnair_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was going through the documentation for enhanced VPC and had some doubts

A FEX can be:-

1) Single homed to  N5K/N7K

2) Dual homed to  N5K/N7K

If scenario 1, Do i have to create a VPC just to connect a server that has 2 NICs homed to FEX1 and FEX2 with active/active?

If scenario 2, Do i have to create a VPC just to connect a server that has 2 NICs homed to FEX1 and FEX2 with active/active?

If scenario 1, Do i have to create a VPC just to connect a server that has 2 NICs homed to FEX1 and FEX2 with active/standy?

If scenario 2, Do i have to create a VPC just to connect a server that has 2 NICs homed to FEX1 and FEX2 with active/standy?

What is the condition that must be met in order to call a VPC an 'enhanced VPC'?

Regards

1 Reply 1

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1) It is not EvPC in this set up. Just a regular vPC since the FEX is straight through.

2) It is true for the N5K but not N7K. N7K doesn't support vPC FEX.

Q1. On the server, it is a regular PO. on the FEX 1 and FEX 2, it will be vPC.

Q2. This will consider EvPC on the N5K ONLY. You will need to configure vPC for the FEXs and regular PO toward the server.

Q3. This is not EvPC. Just regular connections.

Q4. This is not EvPC, just regular connections.

To simiply vPC vs EvPC. vPC is also known as single-layer vPC, meaning the followings:

or

EvPC also known as dual-layer vPC and it looks like the following:

HTH,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: