cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fibre Channel and Fibre Channel Over Ethernet Slow Drain - Details Required

ahmedfmamoon
Level 1
Level 1

We are planning to upgrade our Nexus 5548P devices from SW release 5.1(3)N2(1) to 7.0(7)N1(1). The feature I am interested in is "Fibre Channel and Fibre Channel Over Ethernet Slow Drain" as we are having some FCoE path loss problems in our network and as per Cisco TAC the slow drain devices are causing this issue.

I was wondering if I can have some details on this feature/correction which is available in 7.0(7)N1(1) that what does it do and how it handles the slow drain devices issue ? And what is the functionality difference between 5.1 and 7.0 NX-OS.

2 Replies 2

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Probably best doc we have is from MDS family: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/storage-networking/mds-9700-series-multilayer-directors/white_paper_c11-729444.html

Long story (very) short is that you can detect ports spending prolonged time waiting for credits to be returned.  There are also some default actions FC switches will perform. 

I don't believe there's a specific document out for Nexus 5k family. 

Hi Marcin,

Thanks for your response. I also haven't found any doc like the one for MDS Family; specific to Nexus 5k switches but there is some information available. It seems that they recently introduced this feature in NX-OX 7.X for 5Ks as the info I am referring to is available in NX-OS 7.X documentation.

So another question is that this feature will do some handling by default and then u can further tune it as well ?

Regards,

Ahmed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: