cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Greenfield Hyperflex install no existing vcenter

James Lake
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any documentation about deploying a Hyperflex without and existing vCenter. Or has anyone done this?

I have a greenfield Hyperflex deployment and there is not a place outside of the HX to install vCenter.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jgorlin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi James,

We have greatly enhanced the nested vCenter deployment procedure to make it very simple to deploy HyperFlex without an existing vCenter. We still recommend an external vCenter as a best practice whenever possible.

The new procedure allows you to fully deploy HXDP without specifying a vCenter server. After cluster creation completes, you can create an HX datastore, deploy the VCSA, and finally register the new VC to the existing HX cluster.

This is all covered in great detail in the revamped Tech Note (must be logged into CCO to view). Please let me know if you have any trouble with the new procedure.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

alexander.kilp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi James,

I am joining your search.

For my understanding the installation of the vCenter Server is a key requirement for the HX installer to run.

You can host the VCS on the VMware Workstation, but it is not possible to vMotion it to the HX environment after installation.

A traditional chicken-and-egg problem has been created.

pricejames
Level 1
Level 1

Any update on this?

alexander.kilp
Level 1
Level 1

Some documentation has been released:

Cisco HyperFlex HX Data Platform - Configuration Guides - Cisco

It requires a CCO login to see all documents.

As far as I know now, the nested-vCenter is not recommended by Cisco.

Anyway there are two ways of installing a vCenter:

1. The easy way

Install the vCenter on a separate ESXi and vMotion it, after installation to the HX cluster.

2. The hard way

Use the hx deployment tool and go thru all steps until the ESXis are configured. Pause the script and install the vCenter directly on one of the ESXis. Resume the hx installation process.

Both ways are broken down to the majors steps.

Edit: Found this on Cisco.com (CCO required):

How to Deploy vCenter on the HX Data Platform

richard.jacobik
Level 1
Level 1

Hello James

We recently ran into a situation where we deployed a Cisco HyperFlex into a development lab that did not have Vcenter available.

There is a workaround where you install vCenter on a USB drive attached to a server in the HX cluster:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/TechNotes/Nested_vcenter_on_hyperflex.html. You also need working DNS and NTP to be able to deploy the HX cluster. Running the vCenter server within a HX cluster is supported, but without vCenter it is currently extremely difficult to manage HX or potentially recover it in the event of a failure. You’ll have to weigh the risk of running vCenter within the platform with the customer – even in traditional converged infrastructure deployments I would recommend a dedicated environment to protect management workloads.

Also, I would try not use a windows vCenter install – use the vCenter Appliance wherever possible as VMware are beginning to develop features only for the appliance and it’ll save an additional migration for the customer in the future.

jgorlin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi James,

We have greatly enhanced the nested vCenter deployment procedure to make it very simple to deploy HyperFlex without an existing vCenter. We still recommend an external vCenter as a best practice whenever possible.

The new procedure allows you to fully deploy HXDP without specifying a vCenter server. After cluster creation completes, you can create an HX datastore, deploy the VCSA, and finally register the new VC to the existing HX cluster.

This is all covered in great detail in the revamped Tech Note (must be logged into CCO to view). Please let me know if you have any trouble with the new procedure.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: