Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hyperflex Replication Architecture

Hello

We have replication set up between 2 HX clusters.  I notice we can only map 1 source datastore to 1 destination datastore.  Do I need to map every datastore from source to destination?  The VM I want to protect does not live on the mapped datastore, so it looks like I can't protect it until I move it.  It would be nice to map many source DS to 1 destination DS.  I'm looking for information on the practical applications here.  How are others using and configuring this feature?

Thanks

RSC

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Robert.

From: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/AdminGuide/4-5/b-hxdp-admin-guide-4-5/m-hxdp-replication-vm-disaster_recovery.html#concept_b5z_jt1_21b 

Replication Pair Overview

Creating a replication cluster pair is a prerequisite for configuring VMs for replication. After two (2) HX clusters are paired, map the datastore on the remote cluster to a datastore on the local cluster.

Mapping datastore A on HX cluster 1 with a datastore B on HX cluster 2 enables any VM on HX cluster 1 that resides in datastore A and is configured for replication to be replicated to datastore B on HX cluster 2. Similarly, any VM on cluster 2 that resdies in datastore B and is configured for replication to be replicated to datastore A on HX cluster 1.

Pairing is strictly 1-to-1. A cluster can be paired with no more than one other cluster.

Mapping is a strict 1-to-1 relationship. A datastore on a paired HX cluster can be mapped to no more than one datastore on the other HX cluster. Note that there can be multiple mapped datastores. For example, datastore A on HX cluster 1 mapped to datastore B on HX cluster 2, and datastore C on HX cluster1 mapped to datastore D on HX cluster 2.

Note 

Once a local datastore is mapped to a remote datastore, the corresponding local datastore will not appear under Other DRO Protection.

You have to have your guestVMs on datastores that are mapped.  Now keep in mind you can map multiple datastores, but each source and destination needs to be a unique pairing.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: