Helpful
Replies

HyperFlex Stretched Cluster Networking

ShishirDash5204
Level 1
Level 1

topology.png

Hello All ,

As the minimum network requirement for the two active site on a stretch cluster is 10Gbps and 5ms latency. So if I have 3 Stretch Cluster as shown in the topology . Do I need to have 3 dedicated 10 Gbps/ 5 ms latency for each cluster ? What is the recommended bandwidth between 2 sites?

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/hyperconverged_systems/HyperFlex_HX_DataPlatformSoftware/HyperFlex_Stretched_Cluster/4-5/b-hx-systems-stretched-cluster-guide-4-5/m_preinstallation_checklist.html 

• 10 Gbps dedicated, 5-ms Round-Trip Time (RTT) latency between the two active sites is required. (PER stretch cluster)

• 100 Mbps, 200 ms-RTT worst case latency for 16 kilobyte packet sizes between the active sites and witness site is required.

With 3 clusters on one 10Gb link, you may run into issues with a single 10Gb link, as 3 clusters sharing the same 10Gb link during peak usage times may overwhelm it, resulting in drops, that would lead to latencies, etc.

Ideally, you want to have 3  independent, separate links, although I suppose  some sort of a PC of 3-4 10Gb links would probably keep the traffic distributed pretty well, and provide redundancy.

Might want to open a TAC case on that, that get clarification on your exact proposed config.

Kirk...

Thanks for the clarification. Here in this case this is three actual stretch cluster with different number of nodes per cluster sharing the same pair of fabric interconnect . What would be the recommended bandwidth and latency? Does number of node count per cluster also have impact on the intersite link?. 

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Consolidated responses below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: