Views
Helpful
Replies

Impact of VPC Migration?

Jeffrey Pouzar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am preparing for migration of a back-to-back, inter-data center VPC architecture from 1Gbps to 10Gbps links.  Currently, the LAG is an aggregate 2Gbps and I need to boost it to 20Gbps.  The connections between these two data centers uses dark fiber and comprises a single STP domain (for each associated VLAN).  I have attached a diagram which illustrates this topology in detail, including spanning-tree (PV-RSTP+) port roles and VPC roles, etc.  The diagram also illustrates my proposed method of implementation.

I am very concerned about the type of convergence I will experience from this migration.  We have some very important systems which use this connectivity, and I cannot afford much impact.  The intricacies of BPDU-forwarding between VPC trunks (and how they differ from normal trunks) further complicates things.

What are your thoughts about this plan?  What do you expect the impact of this migration would be?  (I'm obviously asking for a window to accommodate such a change, but I would like to be able to prepare the business for what lies ahead.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.  It is much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jeffrey;

The procedure you are following is correct and you don't feel any major impact on the network. Even in Step 7 there will be no impact on the network.

Please check the 1G & 10G module compatibility in same VDC or required any OS upgrade before plan any activity or migration.

Thanks 

Shoaib Ahmed

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Jeffery,

If you planned with proper step by step approach , I don't think you will end up in any major impact.

Have a look on the cisco documentation for VPC migration from different linecards but that can be made as reference and se if that fits your migration approach.

VPC migration procedure

Hope it Helps..

-GI

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jeffrey;

The procedure you are following is correct and you don't feel any major impact on the network. Even in Step 7 there will be no impact on the network.

Please check the 1G & 10G module compatibility in same VDC or required any OS upgrade before plan any activity or migration.

Thanks 

Shoaib Ahmed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: